General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

01 Explorer Short Block in 95 Cobra Balancing Questions????

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 01:46 PM
vrodcustoms

Default 01 Explorer Short Block in 95 Cobra Balancing Questions????

I just blew the motor a few weeks ago in my 95 Cobra. I did a search on my question beforeI posted and didn't see an answer. If nobody replies, I may post my question in another section. I am pretty much counting the motor as a goner. Started car, left house hard in 1st and hit second gear had a loud knock. Steam and coolant poured out right header and shut her off. I either dropped a valve or threw a rod and broke the block or a coolant passage in the head from dropping the valve. I would honestly rather the block be trashed an broke then any of the aluminum heads being damaged.

I have a complete motor from an 01 Exploroer with 30K miles on it, so I plan on taking off the GT40 intake and GT40P heads and selling them and using the short block in the mustang. I will deal with building/repairing the 347 block later. I just need to get the car going again for minimal $$. So that is why I am hoping the right bank head is OK.

Here is my question: The explorers were all automatics and all the summitracing/jegs.... crap says up to 95 on the harmonic balancers. I don't know if the world just forgot they still used 302's in the explorers/mountaineers after the 95 mustang or if there is really a balancing difference. I want to use the exsisting harmonic balancer that is on the Explorer and the flywheel that is on the Mustang 347 engine now (which sould be stock). Will this work? Does anyone know if there is a balancing difference between the Mustang 302 and the Explorer? What oz. balancer is on the Explorer? The ultimate question is what harmonic balancer/flywheel combo do i need to use on the 2001 Explorer Short Block to use in my 95 Cobra 5 speed? Thanks for any help, it is really appreciated. I should have the motor out tonight and torn apart to see what happened.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:53 PM
vrodcustoms

Default RE: 01 Explorer Short Block in 95 Cobra Balancing Questions????

Buy the way, I got it pulled and torn down. Found the cooling port and #1 intake runner had the gasket totally blown between the two. I am guessing it sucked in a ton of antifreeze and hydralocked the #1 piston whick bent the rod, trashed the skirts of the piston and broke the block. Good news is heads are good. I believe it was a scat crank, H-beam rods, and JE pistons, so if anyone needs a good 347 crank and 7 sets of pistons and rods let me know. It is going back to a 302.

[align=right]
[/align]