General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Alternator???

Old 09-22-2008, 11:15 PM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

Default Alternator???

In another post i wrote about speaker pop using a factory am/fm cd player out of a 93 Cobra, but my factory cassette did not have a pop. That was last week. This week i have another problem that i wonder if it could be part of that problem.

Tonight after work, i notice my dash lights are dimmer than normal as soon i start the engine, i didnt take note of my headlights. I tried the dimmer switch and the lights faded as they should. But i also noticed something else and this is what bothers me. My voltage was one bar from the bottom, its usually 1/2 way. The engine turned over just fine and i was able to drive home. I should also note that i heard a faint noise coming from up front. As i drove home the voltage was creeping slowly down, by that time maybe a hair or two below the 2nd bar. Turn signals were a bit slower on the dash, barely, but i could notice it. My temp gauge also crept up the 1/2 way mark. Ive been noticing when my lights are on for a few minutes while driving, the temp gauge goes up. Its normally right in the middle of the first bar and 1/2 way. Now ive had the temp gauge issue for a while now and i guess its catching up to me whatever it is. The temp gauge will go back down as soon as turn the headlights off.

I get home, shut her down and crank her back up twice, fired up no problem both times. Voltage still reading low. I pop the hood and hear a faint noise that seemed to be coming from the alternator area. The same noise i heard earlier at work. I figured my alternator is toast given the low voltage on the gauge. But my headlights werent flickering nor did they seem dim. I couldve swore tho that while i had the hood up the lights got just a smidge brighter???

I am looking into getting a new alternator (3g if my budget allows). Been on the back burner for a while now anyway.

Back to the cd player bit. Could my cars electrical system have pushing the hint that my alternator was ready to go out on me? Cassette player didnt pop and still doesnt. BTW, i took the cd player out a few days ago at which time my gauge was where its always been before now.

Ill check things out a bit more in the morning.

Anything else i should check?

Last edited by Blckstng93; 09-22-2008 at 11:20 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:54 PM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

Went to start the 'stang this morning she didnt start. The pump barely hummed, the fender solenoid clicked, and the starter tried to turn over, then clicked. Apparently being able to start the engine last night was sheer luck.

So i put a test light between the -/+, and got a light. it was a bit dim, but i figured as much after last night. Checked the level in the battery which wasnt quite full yet nothing to worry about. I topped it off anyway. I grab the voltmeter which read only 10.97v. Im figuring i have a dead battery. Next i pull the - cable and hook the test light to it and the - post. The light came on. Next i pull the plug from the alternator. The light went out. So it seems the alternator finally took a dump and the battery simply wasnt getting charged.

I have a question about the alternator. With a 160w amp driving 3 subs (2 200w and 1 300w), would a stock alternator be ok for the time being as i do not use underdrives? other than the stereo, the electrical system is stock. I dont use the stereo much anyway and if i do, it isnt cranked. While i do need a good alternator, bills take priority.

I can get a new stock replacement alternator for $160. The stocker i have now has 150k miles on it and has lasted 10 years with my current amp and subs.

Last edited by Blckstng93; 09-23-2008 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:05 PM
UTI_TECH429
1st Gear Member

well what you need to do is to get a bigger alternator to run the subs and amp what i would do is get a bigger one and see how that works because the battery isnt getting properly charged. but what you can do to see if that alternators fine is start the car and put your voltmeter across the battery and see if you get close or a little over 14 volts if you do not your alternator is bad.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:56 PM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

Thats just it, engine wont start, and i dont have an extra battery or a charger right now. Im hoping my stepdad can stop by later to help out.

Ever spend lots of money on something elsewhere, only to have car troubles soon afterwards as if Murhpys Law was watching you every step of the way???
Old 09-23-2008, 06:07 PM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

I have a new alternator on order, but its not a stocker. Advance was able to get me a new 100amp Powermaster for $140 so my budget wasnt hurt too too bad. They should have it tomorrow morning.

My battery is being charged at the moment in hopes its still ok. My stepdad brought a voltmeter from his shop and got 11.16v, mine read 10.97 which is close enough for me. He flipped a switch on the tester that i guess puts a load on the battery as the voltage dropped to 7.5v and on down to 6.2v.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:44 PM
UTI_TECH429
1st Gear Member

im sure it will be fine with a new alternator
Old 09-24-2008, 04:19 AM
bwkelley76
3rd Gear Member

I'm curious to see what happens to the gauges and everything once it is all back together and charged. Being that the gauges rely on the voltage they could be inaccurate due to not enough voltage so it's par for the course. If the temp gauge has been doing this for a while then it could be a separate problem.

Good call on the high-amp alternator with your current stereo setup. If you ever do get an underdrive pulley setup leave the stock alternator pulley on if it ever gives you problems. I had to do that on my 5.0 or my battery wouldn't charge.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:44 PM
Blckstng93
4th Gear Member

Well i went to pick up the new alternator today. Guy brings out the box and i open it only to find its not the right one. I was so not happy. It was a Powermaster but not what was pictured on the computer. The computer showed an 87-93 alternator. One of the other guys recognized the one that came in as a 94-95. He took over the computer and sure enough, the computer had the wrong pic. The first guy thought he was ordering me the right one because of the mix-up. I really wanted a better than stock but did not want to mess with splicing or grinding an ear off just so it fit.

So i settled for the stocker they said they had on-hand yesterday, it was still there. Its rated for 75amps but the 'computer tested' spec sheet read 84amp. Still a weakling compared to the Powermaster. Didnt have a choice, i need my 'stang back on the road for work and my friends are so unreliable for rides its pointless to ask.

I got the new alternator home and got it in, rechecked everything twice, checked the battery which was now reading 12.56v, crossed my fingers and turned the key. She fired right up no problem. The gauge was up where it should be and didnt fall or flutter.The dash lights were nice and bright again. Im pretty sure my old alternator was toast as the voltage never rose at all on the way home, a 3-4 mile drive.

Havent road tested it yet.

I have not tried the cd player and im not sure i even want to, but i did check my left door speaker. The smaller of the 2 cones had 2 holes in it, as if someone ripped it. They were new from the box when they went in. I took it and the passenger side out and put the factory Premiums back in. Ill check them tomorrow. The old speakers were Pioneers and stamped 4 ohms. I found a site covering the factory stuff and the Premiums for my 93 are listed as 3.2ohms.

My 'stang is running tho and thats all i care about right now.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:51 PM
UTI_TECH429
1st Gear Member

good glad you have it fixed so far hope the stang keeps running