General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Salt on the roads?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 10:23 PM
snooj
1st Gear Member

Default Salt on the roads?

This is going to my first winter with a car. I'm in Mississauga now and I'm from Florida. I plan on parking the car for the winter and am curious as to when I should do so. About when do they start putting salt on the roads?
Old 10-07-2008, 11:56 PM
unlisted
1st Gear Member

First off, welcome to Ontario. Secondly, sorry your living in Mississauga...

Basically they start salting the roads when there is snow, or ice rain, and the ground is frozen. They are now more and more using a brine solution (a liquid salt mixture) and they pre spray the roads. If you are driving and see narrrow wet lines all in a row going down a road, they have sprayed the solution. The photo below is what I'm talking about, if you see these lines, there is salt on the roads.

Best thing to do with your car is to goto Krown Rust Control ( http://www.krown.com ...I am in no way affiliated with them) and spend the $100-120 it costs to have it rustproofed. Even when spring comes, there is still salt on the roads, and it takes a while to get it all washed off by rain. The rust proofing spray will take care of it. Don't goto one of those cheapo shops, they are crap, and use used motor oil. Krown keeps your warranty in place. Family, friends, and myself have used them for years with no complaints...

What are you planning on driving in the winter? Also, regardless what you are driving, I strongly suggest you get good winter tires, and watch out for idiot drivers, Mississauga has a very high immigration population, and a even higher collision rate. No offense, but most do not know how to drive in the summer, so you can imagine how bad winters will be..

If you want to know anything about the area, region, etc, drop me a PM, I live about 35 mins North of the city.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:55 AM
snooj
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by unlisted
First off, welcome to Ontario. Secondly, sorry your living in Mississauga...

Basically they start salting the roads when there is snow, or ice rain, and the ground is frozen. They are now more and more using a brine solution (a liquid salt mixture) and they pre spray the roads. If you are driving and see narrrow wet lines all in a row going down a road, they have sprayed the solution. The photo below is what I'm talking about, if you see these lines, there is salt on the roads.

Best thing to do with your car is to goto Krown Rust Control ( http://www.krown.com ...I am in no way affiliated with them) and spend the $100-120 it costs to have it rustproofed. Even when spring comes, there is still salt on the roads, and it takes a while to get it all washed off by rain. The rust proofing spray will take care of it. Don't goto one of those cheapo shops, they are crap, and use used motor oil. Krown keeps your warranty in place. Family, friends, and myself have used them for years with no complaints...

What are you planning on driving in the winter? Also, regardless what you are driving, I strongly suggest you get good winter tires, and watch out for idiot drivers, Mississauga has a very high immigration population, and a even higher collision rate. No offense, but most do not know how to drive in the summer, so you can imagine how bad winters will be..

If you want to know anything about the area, region, etc, drop me a PM, I live about 35 mins North of the city.

Thanks a bunch for the reply!

I'm planning to make the move to Canada officially eventually, so living here now has been really interesting.

I was thinking of just undercoating the car. Or do you think Krown Rust Control is better?

Actually, I was just planning on mostly taking the bus during winter. The university I go to gives me a free bus pass so I may as well. I just bought my mustang to replace my stolen one, and with one thing after another, I really can't afford a winter car or winter tires plus undercoating. I got quoted for undercoating at 300 bucks and that alone is going to be tough right now.

I'm also finding drivers in Mississauga to be better than those in my hometown, but it definitely does still suck! So yeah, I can definitely believe it must be terrible during winter. And honestly, I don't want to risk my stang, especially since it will be my first time in snow and mustangs aren't exactly snow friendly. I don't want to risk doing something stupid myself due to inexperience!
Old 10-08-2008, 01:01 AM
unlisted
1st Gear Member

undercoating is okay, but that Krown stuff is sprayed everywhere and than some, and lasts at least one full year. Plus, its less than 1/3 the cost you were quoted for undercoating... and its guaranteed.

Check out that website, it has a tonne of info. (all the local Fire trucks up here get it also)
Old 10-08-2008, 01:02 AM
unlisted
1st Gear Member

Oh and trust me, once the white stuff hits the pavement, the drivers here go crazy and forget how to drive.. so be careful!