General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

oil pressure gauge problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 08:39 PM
Cadre!

Default oil pressure gauge problem

so i have a '96 mustang v6. Recently, when my car warms up, my oil pressure gauge gradually drops to zero. I dont hear any knocking so i dont think it's my oil pump. Im also not hearing and other strange noises so im assuming it isnt my rod/main bearings. what could the problem be and how much can i expect to pay a mechanic to get it fixed?

HELP ME!!
Old 10-15-2008, 10:14 PM
sand1303
1st Gear Member

this has been posted before i have a 96 v6 and have the same problem. first thing to try is the oil pressure sending unit, it is tucked away under the alternator. they are under 10 dollars at the local parts store. that did not fix mine so i am going to get an aftermarket oil pressure gauge. if that don't work i guess i will look at the oil pump.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:05 PM
Cadre!

i just took my stang to the dealer. They can do anything for me. they said my engine is just worn so i should just drive it till it gives up on me or pay to get a new engine. did you ever find out what was wrong with your stang?
Old 02-11-2009, 03:11 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

Well that seems about right

Cold oil is thicker than warm oil, so as your car gets hot, the viscosity goes down and so does your pressure. You sure it isnt knocking? Try some thicker oil, then save up for a GT
Old 02-12-2009, 12:18 PM
junkrider

Get a pressure gauge (diagnostic mechanical type) and put it in the oil hole where your sending unit is. Then take a real reading.

Always good to get accurate diagnoses, and quite often dealers dont waste time doing that. After all, you're gonna pay for a part whether you need it or not.

Your vehicle calls for 5w-30. I don't recommend putting heavier oil in.

I recall my father once took his year old subaru to the dealer for concern of the oil pressure being too low. Well $1500 and a reman engine later (this was around 1983), the car had the same oil pressure as before he took it in. This is what pushed him over the edge, turning him into a gear head who fixed everything himself.

I don't think your vehicle really has 0 oil pressure. The engine would be toasted. Does your car burn oil? Puffy clouds of blue behind it? Big puddles of oil on the floor below where your oil filter should be? If not, I doubt there's anything wrong with your engine besides a bad sending unit or gauge.

Also, keep in mind some manufacturers (chrysler and GM for sure) use really cheap stepper motors in the gauge clusters. These can go bad and end up out of calibration, give false readings. I replaced all of my cavalier for about $40 and took about an hour.

First thing to do... check the pressure with a diag tool. Then take a voltage or resistance reading from the sending unit and compare to spec. If they check out, probably the gauge in the dash is bad. Found my gauge motors on ebay.

Good luck, hope it helps.