General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HID, single of dual beam???

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 07:03 AM
alexr
★★★★★

i have a dual beam kit in my aftermarket halogen housings, and they work just fine. ive never had any problems with them. they take some time to get aimed properly, but once you figure out where exactly they have to be, they work fine.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:14 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by IRSmart
IGNORE EVERY POST TELLING YOU TO GET THE DUAL KIT!!

dual kits are extremely dangerous. they either have one of 2 styles: one with a hallogen bulb mounted to the side, or one that makes the HID arc, which is never in the same position twice, making them very dangerous. i am not very good at explaining what i'm trying to say, so read this article about HID's

bottom line, putting HIDs into a housing not meant for them is a bad idea overall. if you're going to do it, put them into an HID projector and you will get the results you want. HIDs in a housing meant for a hallogen bulb is a bad idea. a "dual beam" kit is a horrible idea.

i am much more informed about HIDs than the average person is (or at least i try to be).
can you give one reason why HIDs in a halogen housing is a bad idea in terms of being dangerous? Everything you posted seems like a crock.
Old 11-22-2008, 02:21 PM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

in the article i posted above it says why, but i'll try and paraphrase

consider a maglight flashlight. if you twist the end, even slightly, look at the beam that it projects. the light is changed drastically. it's the same idea when putting an HID bulb into a headlight housing that is designed for hallogens. you are changing the position of the light, or focal point, thus changing the beam pattern. aiming them down won't help, all that does is limit the amout of light that you are projecting at a long distance.

dual beam kits are even worse. a dual beam HID kit alters the voltage going through the HID arc, changing its shape. the problem is that the shape of the arc is never the same twice, especially as the bulb ages, so the beam you get when putting your high beams on is never the same twice.

i've done a lot of research online about HID retrofits, and know a lot about them. it may seem like "crock" at first, but read what i posted above and you'll see what i'm saying is true. HID retrofit kits are illegal in all 50 states for a reason. it's not because the government hates us, it's because they are unsafe for other drivers on the road
Old 11-23-2008, 09:47 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

I read and understood that article you posted.

I've seen a few Mustangs with HIDs and there was no glare coming off the headlights at all so that's obviously busted. That goes for the lights with the clear Cobra lenses, not the crappy GT lenses.

As for dual beam kits, all the kits I've looked at move the bulb to project light further down the road, and do not actually change the light output. So as far as what you said
a dual beam HID kit alters the voltage going through the HID arc, changing its shape. the problem is that the shape of the arc is never the same twice, especially as the bulb ages, so the beam you get when putting your high beams on is never the same twice
will not be a problem with the kits i've seen.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:43 AM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by OnyxCobra
I've seen a few Mustangs with HIDs and there was no glare coming off the headlights at all so that's obviously busted.
the fact that the headlights have to be re-aimed and adjusted after installing HIDs says otherwise. if the HIDs were the same, then they wouldn't have to be re-aimed, it would be a direct plug-n-play. in the article i posted, it showed tests done by, i think the DOT (i can't remember and i'm not looking). it actually has a picture of the beam pattern of a car that had HIDs put in it. look at what happend when they tested it.

now, am i saying that every car you pass will run into a tree? no. will you blind people if you aim your headlights down? no. i'm just saying that they're illegal for a reason, because they are unpredictable and unsafe.

now, the way that OEM cars get away with high and low beams in the HIDs is that the projector itself actually changes to move the light. the arc in the HID doesnt move.

i'm not trying to offend or attack you, but regardless of what you have seen or observed, it doesnt change the facts of HID vs Hallogen lighting.

with all that said, you may do what you wish. i am not here to tell people what to do, only to inform
Old 11-25-2008, 02:18 AM
JFordJr
1st Gear Member

the fact that the headlights have to be re-aimed and adjusted after installing HIDs says otherwise. if the HIDs were the same, then they wouldn't have to be re-aimed, it would be a direct plug-n-play. in the article i posted, it showed tests done by, i think the DOT (i can't remember and i'm not looking). it actually has a picture of the beam pattern of a car that had HIDs put in it. look at what happend when they tested it.

now, am i saying that every car you pass will run into a tree? no. will you blind people if you aim your headlights down? no. i'm just saying that they're illegal for a reason, because they are unpredictable and unsafe.

now, the way that OEM cars get away with high and low beams in the HIDs is that the projector itself actually changes to move the light. the arc in the HID doesnt move.

i'm not trying to offend or attack you, but regardless of what you have seen or observed, it doesnt change the facts of HID vs Hallogen lighting.

with all that said, you may do what you wish. i am not here to tell people what to do, only to inform
Wow, a respectful disagreeance. I don't think I have ever seen that on the internet. You are a good person IRSmart. Thank you.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:01 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

I like good night vision as much as anyone,, but HATE IT when some friggen dufus in an on-coming car has those blindingly bright aftermarket headlights!

Ask yourself, are you wanting HID's for safer night driving, or just because they look neat-O, or for a bit of both? If they can't be adjusted to work correctly they won't help your night driving, because light that is being sprayed upwards isn't helping. Well, it will "help" attract the interest of the cops I guess,,
Old 11-25-2008, 08:50 AM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JFordJr
Wow, a respectful disagreeance. I don't think I have ever seen that on the internet. You are a good person IRSmart. Thank you.
one of my favorite quotes is "arguing on the internet is like competing in the special olympics. even if you win, you're still a retard"
Old 11-25-2008, 05:54 PM
OnyxCobra
6th Gear Member

Yeah the lights have to be aimed differently because the HID is positioned in a different spot inside the lens, thus causing a different reflection.

In that article they appeared to show a car without a clear headlight lense, obviously they picked the worst case scenario to use for their argument. When the headlight lens is clear (like all OEM hid headlight lenses) the beam is much more controlled.

Also from my observation most cars with OEM HIDs do not use HIDs for high beams but rather a seperate, halogen bulb that is activated and used along with the HID headlight. I have never even heard of the arc in the HID moving until reading your previous posts, that seems like a stupid way of doing things.