General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Strange noises.. help

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

Default Strange noises.. help

My 1994 mustang is giving me some weird noises lately.
  1. Creeking noise from what sounds to be the passenger front side of the vehicle. This happens when I back up and roll forward, push the gas, and accelerate. It sounds a lot like a wooden floor that creeks when you step on it (except this is not wood, but most likely metal).

This was just happening a lot on my way home. I backed out of my spot and heard the creek immediately like my car had been sitting for years or something (only about an hour actually). And to test it out more, I just sat moving my car back and forth in my driveway and every time I accelerated forward, I'd hear a bit of the noise.

2. Rattling noise from what sounds like the trunk. I go over speed bumps or up my angled driveway and I hear the rattling noise. It almost sounds like my trunk is rattling. But I've checked my trunk seems tight to the car, the spoiler isn't lose, i strapped down a brake light cable in the trunk that was loose and I thought it might be the culprit. Unfortunately, it still happens.
    I don't know how much anyone could help me with this, might be something that you'd have to hear yourself.

3. Squeaking noise in my driver's side chair. On the edge of the seat, in that side wall that kind of shapes the seat to your body (butt). I push down on this part and it squeaks like there's a pencil-sized wire or something inside of it that needs some lubricant. Do you know what this is or have any tips for fixing it/finding it in the seat?

Well this is all for now, there are other things, but these are the major ones. I really am worried about #1, the other too don't worry me but are annoying.

Thank you!
Old 12-02-2008, 02:24 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

did you hit a black man and put him in your trunk?

(inside joke im not racist)
Old 12-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

no, might be that one hooker though

Scotty said the trunk rattling might be an exhaust hanger, so I will check that later today. He also said that the creek may be the brakes, but I'm not so sure about that since it happens when I don't use the brakes?

Any help for any of the sounds would be much appreciated.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:15 PM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

Anybody else have some ideas?
Old 12-07-2008, 01:52 PM
buster
4th Gear Member

You might have a bad strut or motor/trans mount
Old 12-09-2008, 11:33 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Mustangs make noises.Noises like the ones you report are probably caused by dried out bushings in the front end.Sway bar bushings are the easiest to lube so I'd start with them first.Any grease will work to lube bushings but if you can get a small tube (try Maximum Motorsprorts) of Super Sticky Prothane grease it'll stay on longer.

The rattle in the trunk area could be anything.Start by looking at the exhaust where it goes over the axle.Sometimes the two will come in contact and have to be adjusted away from each other.
Shock mounts,loose body panels,even wayward nuts and bolts can cause rattling noises.Plan an afternoon and take the linings out of the trunk and maybe even the rear seats out,then crawl around and shake things.I read one post about the welds breaking on the rear deck.It took the guy awhile to find it but that cured the problem.
The squeak under the front seat can probably be cured with a little oil on a Q-Tip.A drop here and a drop there will lube the joint and kill the noise.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:59 PM
Canary94GT
4th Gear Member

Wow, thanks so much guys, I really appreciate it!

By the way, do you think some of these noises could be associated with the cold?