General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Couple of basic mechanical problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 10:53 AM
ckthecerealkiller
2nd Gear Member

Default Couple of basic mechanical problems

I am not sure what these could be. But I am 17, the only things I know about cars I taught myself. Plus my father is no help right now.

1. When I go to shift from first to second I will sometimes hear this popping noise. It is so loud it sounds like a big rock is flying up into my front left wheel well. I also hear it when I accelerate quickly in first or second.

2. My front left wheel also will sound like it is flat. But the car doesn't curve in any way. Perfect alignment. I will just hear this constant really quiet thud when it hits one spot of the wheel. I looked at the wheel nothing is wrong with it....

3. Lastly, sometimes when I make a right turn, if I am near a wall that will deflect sound, I hear the squeaking sound. It isn't my brakes, well cause I am not on my brakes. I checked the bearings, rotors, everything that could be doing that. Nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. If you tell me what's wrong I know a few people that would help me out. People other than my very busy father.

Thanks in advance everyone!!!
Old 05-31-2005, 11:58 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default RE: Couple of basic mechanical problems

Get your car up on jackstands and spin the wheel and try to find the squeek, It sounds like it IS a wheel bearing or your brakes.

What do you mean it makes a thud on one spot on your wheel? Elaborate some more on that.

As for shifting, have you jacked your car up and checked your tranny mount?
Old 05-31-2005, 12:28 PM
ckthecerealkiller
2nd Gear Member

As for the wheel, it sounds like there is the sticker that comes with a new tire on it. Like there is this huge hump on the wheel. I don't feel anything when I am driving it. I only hear it.

I'll check the mount sometime today. I don't have anything to do but take my friend to work.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:53 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

The wheel problem could be the beginning of a tread separation,potentially dangerous.Have a knowledgeable tire shop check this.The other things should show signs of contact between parts and should leave shiny marks on each other.Get the car up in the air and have a helper push in the clutch and move things around inside the car while you look and listen from under the car.Use jackstands,don't even think about trusting your life to just a jack.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:00 PM
Djs94stang
3rd Gear Member

Check the motor mounts for the noise while accelerating or shifting. Check the tie rod ends/ball joints for the squeaking.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:38 PM
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

Check your tie rod ends on both sides, i had a weird squeak on mine, had a mechanic look at it, couldnt diagnose it, then the very next week broke my tie rod end, i would replace those anyways because they are not greasable, unless they have already been replaced