General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Low MPG

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 03:24 PM
Juno
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by junkrider
Code 12 says the codes were cleared. Maybe you took the battery out, or the batt died, or some one cleared the codes before you bought it...????

Dealers, garages charge about 100 or up for a code scan. Go out and get (or borrow) a code scanner that gives codes, definitions, and some sensor readings. I have the CP9185, I love it. Read the raw data and see what the 02 sensors say. A bad 02 sensor wont stop your engine from running, but it will cause the comp to dump fuel in the engine, resulting in low low low fuel mileage.

A good scanner, like the CP9185 i got will run about 185 to 200 us dollars. You fix your car twice and its paid for. The 02 sensor, maybe 50 to 100 dollars. The pain killers after the dealership gets done swapping parts cuz "theyz be old" will drain your bank account. Mechanics and divorce lawyers say the same thing "It'll only cost a little more than you have in the bank".

btw, this only applies to OBDii (1996 or newer vehicles.) For older, you'll need to get a special scanner or a volt meter and crack the books.

My battery didnt died in last 2 years, also i didnt took it out...

Maybe i will go to autozone, buy one, check the codes and give them back =]
Old 02-12-2009, 03:46 PM
junkrider

Get the voltages of your 02 sensors too, when the fuel 1 system is reporting "closed". Get the TPS % (could be that, too) when the car is not running, slowly push the pedal to the floor and read the TPS %, should slowly raise with the pressure on the pedal, then lower slowly as you release. If if jumps around in a way that is not smooth or goes up as you release or down as you press, your TPS is probably bad. TPS % should go up smoothly with pedal pressure, then go down as you release. Another thing to look at is coolant temp sensor, watch the actual F degrees as the car warms up. Should go to about 190 or so, if it stays way low, then the coolant sensor is telling the comp that the engine is cold, which tells the engine to keep the injectors dumping more fuel.