General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

performance

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 05:02 AM
mustangworshiper

Default performance

I got a few questions that i hope can be answered by anyone around here. I wrote another post that may have some of the same questions.

I am only 15 and i gotta figure out what kind of pony is most suitable for performance reasons. I want a 5.0 if at all possible, but insurance might be a problem. Does anyone know which insurance company might be the most reasonable? I want the car, and all performance parts covered on the insurance, but i dont know what i need to ask for to get everything on the car covered.

Also, what add on will give the best performance for a 5.0? I was thinkin about goin naturally aspirated, or going the way of a supercharger. If i go by way of supercharger, which style is better? Roots style, or centrifugal? And if i go naturally aspirated, how much will it cost to get up to around 300-400? I dont really care how close to 400 horses i get, i just want to get thrown back into the seat when i slam on the gas. I also want my car to be able to wake up the neighbors and have people hear it before they see it.

Another thing, will EFI support performance better than a Carb setup? I like the idea of a carb because my dad had a Gt Torino, with the three carb setup. I forget what he calls that setup, but i also wanted to know if any company had the three carb manifold for a Mustang. If i get a mustang with EFI, ill keep it that way, but if carb power is better, ill aim for that setup.

Last questions, if i end up with a six, or even a four cylinder, what should i put on it, and where do i go for parts that focus on just 6 or 4 cylinder performance? Will throwing a 5.0 in place of the lesser engine bump the insurance up more than just buying the GT? And which engine is best for working on? Having room to work on the engine can be a key element in the build up, thats one reason i dont want a 94 or newer, not enough room. Any help that can be supplied will be much appreciated.

Old 06-11-2005, 03:45 PM
xRockThePonyx
6th Gear Member

Default RE: performance

Welcome.

I'm moving this to general tech, so you can get all kinds of viewpoints. This forum is just for introducing yourself, but we have really helpful tech sections you should check out.

Best of luck.
Old 06-11-2005, 06:53 PM
86gt5.0HO
2nd Gear Member

Welcome to the forums,
You would be better off with Fi if you go forced induction. Other wise you would have to use a blow through, or more dangerous yet, a draw through system. These systems either blow pressurized air through a carb or suck air through the carb and then pressurize the mixture (just imagine what would happen if the engine backfired). If you go without blower then a carb setup would work as well as Fi. But since your dad sounds like a car guy getting a carbed engine, and working on that would be much easier. If you want a carbed stang, get the '85 GT with 5speed. They had 5 liters with 4bbl's. If you want fi, get an 89-92. An 86-88 would be good too but they have SD witch isn't as mod friendly as MAf cars.

The naturally aspirated option would be much cheaper, but then the blower would add quick easy horsepower. You have to sit down and fiqure out what you want to do before you start. many people don't know how expensive it can be to get 400 HP and then get it too the ground. It would be better to set your goals a little lower first so they are easier to achieve, that way you won't be discouraged when you don't suceed. And it can be much more satisfieng.

I have learned this first hand. I am 18 and can overhaul and tune a carb like the old timers. It is very satisfieing when I overhaul and tune a carb and have my buddies look at it in confusion.

I'm not trying to put you down but rather just help you succeed with your project.

Good luck
Old 06-11-2005, 07:59 PM
Ezrider
2nd Gear Member

my main sugestion is start out with a stock 5.0 you it will defently set you back in the seat, then biuld it as you get better at driving. id hate to see you jump in an 400hp stang the second you get your licence then wrap yourself around an teliphone poll an hour later
Old 06-12-2005, 01:54 AM
86gt5.0HO
2nd Gear Member

I agree with ezrider. Youd be better off slowly building it.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:44 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

I would recommend trying to find an '89 5.0 unless you are looking for the newer body style, look for the 94 or 95.

As for insurance, it will depend on the company. My company charges less, the older the car. My '89 Mustang GT's insurance is cheaper a month than my '96 Probe GT.