General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What's with the seatbelts in my Foxbody?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 10:19 AM
NittyGrittyKitty

Default What's with the seatbelts in my Foxbody?

I heard that it's normal, which makes it even more confusing, but why do the seat belts only tension up when the door is open? When I'm actually driving around, if I lean forward at all, the slack never goes away. It's one thing to have no airbags, but I would at least like my seatbelt to work properly... Is there any way to make it so the tensioner works even when the door is closed?
Old 11-19-2012, 09:54 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

The retractors get weak over time.

'79-'86 retractors are different than '87-'93.... earlier ones have a button in the door jamb and later ones don't.

Earlier ones work like this: With the door shut and that button is pushed in, you can pull a little of the belt out so it's not strangling you. If you get too much slack, you should be able to give it a quick pull and it should roll back in... yours isn't, so the retractor must be getting tired. When you open the door and the button isn't pushed in, a cable that runs from that button releases the ratching mechanism and the belt will fully retract.

The later ones work like this: Ford decided the slack in the earlier ones was dangerous, so they removed the button in the door jamb and made the retractors so they keep the belt tight against your body at all times... at the expense of comfort.

The only replacement belts I've seen offered are of the later version, so if you order a new set, they will be snug at all times and you will have to plug the hole in the door jamb where the button used to be.

You might try taking your old ones apart the lubricating them.... this will be a pita but may solve your problem... or it may not.

Last edited by capri debris; 11-22-2012 at 06:26 PM.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:58 PM
NittyGrittyKitty

Thanks! Would removing the button altogether make them work just like the later ones?