General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Brake caliper lockup problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 03:24 PM
Jayp250

Default Brake caliper lockup problem

On a 2006 mustang I had the rear caliper piston stick on the left side and wore out the pads and disc. Took to shop and was told the emergency brake auto adjust over tightened the cable which caused the problem as it switched to the other side after brakes were replaced but thankfully before it was ran. So is this an unusual problem or just a fluke? Also would this be covered under an extended warranty since it was a malfunction. Thanks for any help I get on this. cheers to you
Old 03-10-2009, 04:01 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

...sounds like a flukey thing to me! ...now that's it's fixed, just keep an eye on the rear brakes!
Old 03-12-2009, 11:42 AM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

so, the shop told you the rear left caliper adjuster was over adjusted and kept the brake engaged?
the caliper adjusters are integrated into the emergency brake system- so that's definitely true. it operates like a ratchet, and this caliper adjuster can be adjusted by pulling on the emergency (mechanical rear) brake lever. my problem is that the adjuster cannot physically go too far as it is compressing the pads onto the rotor. maybe you had a stuck caliper piston (that makes more sense).

whichever the case- this sounds possible, but is definitely an uncommon problem, thankfully.