General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

a/c problem! anyone know anything about a/c's????

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 11:46 AM
bumblebeeMUSTANGgirl

Default a/c problem! anyone know anything about a/c's????

Alright guys i've got a problem! I bought a K&N intake like 2 years ago, well needless to say, the heatshield ended up rubbing a hole right in my aluminum A/C suction line!!!! So recently, we pulled out the suction line & welded it (why buy a new one if we could repair it?!?) it's holding fine & my air is colder than my freezer at home! But the other day I heard a weird noise when the compressor would kick on. well it did for a few days so i kept the a/c off. and i finally decided to try it out today, i left the a/c on full blast for thirty minutes & it never made a single noise & the a/c is still just as cold. i've spoke to a few different people but don't want to pay the cost of a shop. One person told me it's because I was supposed to replace the dryer when I opened up that line & now I let air in, some are saying that my compressor is about to take a ****. Some say I need to replace the compressor & the dryer & some say it's just that air that i let in passing through the lines & it will be fine. Anybody help me, please. (i live in sunny south florida+no a/c again would suck terribly!!!) email me at Lauren144@bellsouth.net PLEASE HELP GUYS!!!
Old 09-03-2009, 12:36 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Anytime you crack open the A/C system you need to replace the receiver drier, o-rings, and evaporator tube/orifice tube. A recharge should be done under vacuum and the correct amount of compressor oil with freon needs to be put back in.

Since you said you welded the suction line, I';m guessing you did open your A/C system up. Since it sounds like you didn't do anything about the lost compressor oil, vaccuum recharge or replacing the drier, o-rings, and orifice tube I'm guessing your compressor is about ready to crap out. Did you at least use manifold gauges when you recharged your system?