General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Transmission/Rear End

Old 07-12-2005, 01:14 AM
stngman00
2nd Gear Member

Default Transmission/Rear End

I drive a 2000 Automatic V6. Well I posted a month or so back that I had a whining noise from the back of my car. Well I took it today to get the brakes and bearings looked at and they told me that there was nothing wrong with either and then proceeded to tell me that my transmission or rear end might be going bad. So I'm going to take it to get looked at soon and see what's going on. My question is, what would it cost to have one or the other fixed and replaced. Also, if it is my rear end, I've been told to just replace it with a GT rear end, well what would be the advantage of replacing it with a GT rear end? Any help and suggestions would be great. Thanks for all your help!

MIKE
Old 07-12-2005, 12:26 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Transmission/Rear End

your looking at about at least 1 grand minimum for either, tranny being Little more than that.When your driving and let off the gas does the rear end clunk like there is alot of play?Have you touch the rear end at all??I doubt the tranny is making the noise cause autos dint usually whine but the rear can whine if the gears aren't shimmed right.The GT rear end is bigger and will handle alto more power than your your current rear end if you do have to change it look into and lsc rear end they have better gears and have rear disc brakes and you can usually get one for around 500 to 600 in good shape
Old 07-13-2005, 01:46 AM
stngman00
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Transmission/Rear End

Well I figured it would cost about that much. And to answer you questions, no when I let off the gas I don't hear any clunking noises or anything like that. No I haven't touched the rear end myself, but I did buy the car used from a dealer so who is to say that it wasn't touched before me, when I bought it, the car already had the dual exhaust so they could have messed with the rear end. And to explain the whining noise. Like I said before it whines at low speeds normally no higher than 15-20 mph. And it sounds like something is spinning type of whine. Because it will whine stop whine stop and then whine, like with the rotation of a tire. Whether or not it's my transmission or rear end who knows. You said if I get a new rear end to look into the lsc rear end, and you say it will have rear disc brakes. Well I don't know if this means or not that my rear end has been touched but my rear end already has disc brakes. Are you saying that the lsc will have bigger disc brakes and if that's the case will my calipers that are on my car now fit? Thanks for all the help, I'm broke and can't aford to keep fixing things on my car.