General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is this illegal??!!! please read...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 03:14 PM
mk636
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Is this illegal??!!! please read...

^^^ Enough said.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:40 PM
babygurl2000
I ♥ Acer

Is it illegal to sell the vin and title off of a car and keep the car
ILLEGAL
Old 07-19-2005, 05:00 PM
sandcracker21
4th Gear Member

definatly illegal, but like the other said, i would strip the car of its good parts, sell them, the sell the car to the guy
Old 07-19-2005, 06:37 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

There was a used car salesman in our area that was replacing VIN plates on"used"cars.I think he got five years.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:28 PM
DaGGer
4th Gear Member

just sell him the car, tell him you won't sell just the vin and title and just take the whole car and do what ever with it
Old 07-20-2005, 12:46 AM
UhadMEatGT
2nd Gear Member

I just saw where you said you wanted to keep the car. In that case it would be illegal. If you sold him the car it wont be your responsibility what he does with it. As for the car restoration, it is NOT illegal. It is no different that taking the rusty car and replacing all the doors fenders, and welding on new quarter panels. And actually it would still be numbers matching. Everything else is being swapped over including the full drivetrain, wiring, dash, interior, lighting, suspension, etc. The only thing your using is the shell. The only thing that you are changing is sheet metal which is done during any body off restoration anyway.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:31 AM
justingt
3rd Gear Member

I suppose as long as the "authorities" didn't find out about it, it'd be alright... right?!
yea that pretty much answers your own question man
Old 07-20-2005, 01:46 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: UhadMEatGT

I just saw where you said you wanted to keep the car. In that case it would be illegal. If you sold him the car it wont be your responsibility what he does with it. As for the car restoration, it is NOT illegal. It is no different that taking the rusty car and replacing all the doors fenders, and welding on new quarter panels. And actually it would still be numbers matching. Everything else is being swapped over including the full drivetrain, wiring, dash, interior, lighting, suspension, etc. The only thing your using is the shell. The only thing that you are changing is sheet metal which is done during any body off restoration anyway.
I never said it was illegal during a restoration, but it might be unethical and many many restoration people will not concider it to be numbers matching. Go ask this question on Moparts.com and see what happens
Old 07-20-2005, 05:16 AM
UhadMEatGT
2nd Gear Member

I am saying it is no different than chopping your car to bits to put all new metal on it. You strip ALL of the parts, mading it an empty shell with nothing on it, and toss the old stuff away. Instead of just switching the doors and hood and quarters, etc over to yours, it is much easier to set the shell onto yours and then put the car back together. You hear of all these people finding a rare find muscle car that is nothing but a shell in a junkyard and deciding to restore it. They have to track down all the other parts and add them to the shell because the car was basically a basket case. Your Muscle car magazines will consider this a true restoration. You are using the car for nothing but the skin.... such as the doors, fenders, hood, trunk, quarters, etc.? How different is is to get good doors from one car, and good fenders from another, and a good hood at a swapmeet, and a nice used trunklid on ebay, etc... There is no difference, except you are getting all the good metal from one vehicle, and not having to frankenstein it. And even your best critic, judge, or guru, wouldnt be able to say whether their car was restored this way or not because everything IS your car except the outter skin which was taken down to bare metal before the repaint. I think restorers get upset when you find a nice W-25 and switch the VIN#'s and maybe motor, tranny and rear to make it a W-30.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:21 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Well my sneaking susupension was correct along with everyone elses. I talked to a cop and it is very illegal and I think that I might just try and sell the entire car to him. He is in South Carlina and I am in Colorado. So I guess the deal is off.

Quick Reply: Is this illegal??!!! please read...