General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Installing new parts

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 09:40 PM
WHT99GT

Default Installing new parts

I am going to be installing a set of Sportline springs, GMS CC plates, bullitt pedals and a FR500 steering wheel this weekend.... Just wondering if anyone has any tips for me...

can the spring be changed by removing the upper strut mount and lowering the control arm with the spindle and strut in place..? or do i need to remove the strut from the spindle to do it..
the reason that i ask is because if i can remove the upper strut mount it seems that the caster/camber plates and the springs can be done at the same time?

Thanks,

Rob
Old 02-19-2010, 02:48 PM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

When you mess with those springs get everything out of your way, EVERYTHING have some good compressors and say a prayer before starting, i done mine omg i didnt have a azzhole til i was done the pucker factor was topping the chart, they can do some damage if you screw up to the car and to you!

Jack the car about 2-3 foot off the ground under the k-member and put jack stands under it, then remove wheel (loosen before off ground ofcourse) then remove the strut, let the spindle hang loose wont hurt it, u do have to keep an eye on the brake lines mine had a hanger once i unhooked it it had no tension on the line, use the jack under the a-arm and jack up on it once the other things are out of the way, dont compress the springs too much or the compressores wont go between the coils, once you have the compressors on then let the jack down slowley until the spring comes out, you may have to push down on the a-arm to get it all the way out! then you are ready to put in the new springs put the compressors on the new springs tighten them down to compress the spring, then put them back in the a- arm cups and line up with the cups in the k-member, jack the a-arm back into place commpressing the spring, then reattach the struts etc and ur done it is easy but dangerous! take your time and think about what you are doing! dont get into the fender with the spring bad bad thing to do!

Last edited by Venomantidote95; 02-19-2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:03 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

i have done the springs in my 95 mark 8 and raised car high enough to have control arm pull down far enough to let the spring out. when the car is up, like above, put a jack under the control arm and undo anything connected to it...then SLOWLY let the jack down releasing the pressure on the spring and for safe measure, stand off to the side if possible IF something was to happen. if you want place something in th fender(peice of wood or something that if it decided to fly out it will hit that first and slow it down)

i havent done any springs on the front of a car,but i dont see it as being any what different.

the just reverse process....put spring in, put jack under control arm, jack it up until it meets other components and you can get bolts through it or whatever. then let jack down when things are attached and put things back together.