General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Ford and Leasing

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 12:17 AM
Driver72
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by luckythirteen13
they probably just told you that cause they were trying to get you to lease the car LOL

seriously tho, all joking aside, as far as customer service will be, im sure itll be just as good as any other dealer. Ford, just like all others is fighting to earn/keep your business and will do what it takes to do so. as far as the deal youll get goes, like stated above, you need to go to the dealer and ask. the reason for this is because we dont know where you live or how the economy has been hit there. if the dealer in your area is struggling for business your going to get a much better deal then if you went to a dealer thats thriving. i can say that if you go in there with confidence and dont easily back down, your going to get the best deal possible.

I'm not far from you.

I am not worried about the deal, just about how Ford financial is about getting out of leases.
See, one of the reasons I often lease is because I don't keep cars long.
My current fun/toy car, my Subaru WRX, I've had for 7 months.

If you buy cars and decide to sell them in 1-2 years, you take a beating on depreciation.
When you lease, you can put little to no down. Just make the payments (which is less than purchase payments) and then when I'm tired of the car or want another, can just have somebody take over the lease payments and I'm free and clear of the car.
However, I learned some manufacturers don't treat leases very well and make it very difficult to get out of a lease (Infiniti) hence the reason I'll never lease (or probably buy) another Infiniti.
BMW on the other hand is a piece of cake, and absolute beauty when it comes to leasing and getting out of your lease. They therefore will earn my business again in the future.

But in any case, I'll contact Ford financial and see if I can get a straight answer out of them. I was just hoping for a leasee to chime in and give me a first hand account.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:47 AM
Sam I am
2nd Gear Member

I'm the Finance Director at a Ford dealership, but since you have such a sh!tty attitude, you can call Ford and figure it out yourself.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:21 AM
Driver72
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by HorsePower99
Agreed with 13 completely all around on leases. I think it's stupid and I doubt that's anywhere near true about more leases than sales. I've been working at a Ford dealer for about a year and I've never heard ANYTHING about anyone leasing anything, but you're always hearing about selling things. And that really kills your argument about the high end cars because when one of them goes everybody always hears about it and they're never leased. Shelby, Taurus SHO, King Ranch, Harley Davidson, they're always bought not leased.
Leases only really work on cars that have decent resale/residual value.
Basically no Ford does, even the "rare" GT500 doesn't have the best resale compared to other "rare" cars.

Again, for the past 3 years I've had 2 BMW's and spent an awful lot of time around the BMW and Mercedes AMG crowd. Most lease.
But again, nobody is forcing you guys to believe anything other than what you want to believe.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:23 AM
Driver72
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sam I am
I'm the Finance Director at a Ford dealership, but since you have such a sh!tty attitude, you can call Ford and figure it out yourself.
Trusting a "finance director's" word from a stealership?? "Finance" guys at the stealerships are on commission too and therefore are salesman as well. And we all know how smart it is to trust a salesman. Hence the reason I stated in the prior posts I didn't want a Ford employee's response. You sales guys crack me up.
Bet you wish you'd of leased your 2010 Mustang GT right about now huh? So you could swap it out for the 2011 without taking the beating on depreciation you'll take since you bought yours. ;( jab jab
Gotta mess with you a bit since you think I have a sh1tty attitude.

I hope you didn't get your 2010 in December same time you joined here.
Welcome to the boards.

Last edited by Driver72; 04-03-2010 at 02:37 AM.
Old 04-03-2010, 09:11 AM
capri man
1st Gear Member

i was the finance manager for a dealership for several years. i am no longer in the business so i really do not have a dog in this fight. however, the reason the dealerships love to lease cars is because they can charge the lease company about 125% of the list price for the car!!! then they make about twice the profit they would make if they sold the car!! so you yuppies keep drinking the koolaid and leasing those beemers!!!
Old 04-03-2010, 09:20 AM
Sam I am
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Driver72
You guys are missing the point completely.

Sure nobody leases Kia's or Ford Focus, but owners of lower end cars (under $30k) don't have the knowledge of most owners of mid to higher end cars have, otherwise, well they'd have better jobs, better incomes, better cars and most likely be leasing.
Mr. Driver... I run the Dept., so the small amount I'd make on a deal wouldn't be worth dealing with you, I have no need to lie, I've offered to help several folks here, with nothing to be gained on my part.
Have a great day, and continue to bash the majority of users on the board.

Apparently we aren't all as smart as you.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:07 PM
capri man
1st Gear Member

you are 100% correct sam. a lease is not hardly worth messing with for the finance man!!
Old 04-03-2010, 10:51 PM
Driver72
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by capri man
i was the finance manager for a dealership for several years. i am no longer in the business so i really do not have a dog in this fight. however, the reason the dealerships love to lease cars is because they can charge the lease company about 125% of the list price for the car!!! then they make about twice the profit they would make if they sold the car!! so you yuppies keep drinking the koolaid and leasing those beemers!!!
Well I ain't no yuppie. But getting out of a 36 month lease when you are say 12 months in, without losing thousands of dollars in depreciation, is pretty cool.
You buy a $50k car and decide you want out in 12 months, you take $7-10k hit. No thanks.
If that's being a "yuppie" (good 80's term btw, haven't heard that one in a long time), then I guess I'm one. Oh and BMW's are pretty cool too. Drive one, own one, lease one. If you don't like it afterward, you don't like driving. Unlike so many other marketing slogans, BMW's is quite true.

Originally Posted by Sam I am
Mr. Driver... I run the Dept., so the small amount I'd make on a deal wouldn't be worth dealing with you, I have no need to lie, I've offered to help several folks here, with nothing to be gained on my part.
Have a great day, and continue to bash the majority of users on the board.

Apparently we aren't all as smart as you.
You seem angry Sam. Is that because you work at a car dealership or is that because you bought a 2010 Mustang GT only right about the same time Ford officially released the details on the 2011, and since you bought the 2010 Mustang, you know you'll take it in the rear if you try to sell it to get the 2011?
Lighten up man, maybe get a job as an insurance salesman instead of something, you won't have to worry about appreciation and depreciation that way, and what makes more sense

There is an old, wise and accurate financial saying of:
"buy what appreciates, rent what does not."
Guess what, with the rare exception, cars do not appreciate.
Would you buy a house if you knew that with the rare exception over the history of time, houses 99% of the time depreciated in value?
No of course not, that would be terrible financial decision.
People BUY houses because over history (again with the rare exception like say the last 3 years) houses APPRECIATE and make them money over time. Cars do not do that for people.
There's an awful lot of millionaires who can easily afford to buy cars, but lease, there IS a reason for that. See above for one of those many reasons.

Since my original question has not been answered and though it's been a bit entertaining having some fun with a couple of you, this post is no longer relevant or helpful for me, so moving on here.
Have a good night and lighten up a bit, you got so agro over nothing.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:59 PM
Sam I am
2nd Gear Member

I love my job, I've been in the business for over 15 years, and I have a great attitude. I think yours sucks, personally. Need I remind you how you've insulted the intelligence of everyone here who didn't lease a car? Many of us modify or personalize our cars beyond what is allowable for a lease, or drive too many miles.
Perhaps you should come down off your high horse, and not take everything so seriously.
If you hadn't have come off like such a d!ck, I would have been more than happy to give you an honest answer to your question. I didn't get to my position by lying to people.
Thanks, have a great Easter.
Old 04-03-2010, 11:05 PM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

Why would you commit to a 3 year lease if you bore within a year? Just asking!

Quick Reply: Ford and Leasing