General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
View Poll Results: A poll
better
0%
worse
80.00%
same
20.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Common Myth?

Old 08-08-2005, 01:40 PM
bahbahblacksheep
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Common Myth?

ORIGINAL: Blue Oval

My advice is to be a man, keep the windows up and A/C off, even at high noon in the middle of the sahara desert
LOL...sometimes I do this because I want to save gas...but it gets to a point where I feel like I'm in one of those prison Hot boxes you see in the movies and I put the AC on
Old 08-08-2005, 01:40 PM
bahbahblacksheep
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: _Shifty_

My extensive research concluded that in city driving A/C will kill your mileage, better to keep the windows down, but at freeway speeds, having the windows down reduces the coefficient of drag sufficient enough that running your A/C is more efficient.
[sm=exactly.gif]
Old 08-08-2005, 01:42 PM
Blue Oval
4th Gear Member

ill use the A/C in my Corolla on the way to work only because i dont want to be all sweaty when i get there, but anytime else, its windows all the way
Old 08-08-2005, 01:46 PM
bahbahblacksheep
2nd Gear Member

one other parameter that would influence me to put the AC on is the wife...it doesn't matter how nice it is outside, as soon as she gets in the car, the AC comes on and the windows up...

AND YOU WANNA KNOW WHY?

Because the humidity will make her hair go flat. Interesting things you learn when you get married
Old 08-08-2005, 01:49 PM
Blue Oval
4th Gear Member

gotta respect the hair
Old 08-08-2005, 01:56 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

I get a kick out of people trying to get good gas mileage with a stang....Who cares what the gas mileage is with the ac on???If its that important to you you bought the wrong car!I wouldnt have the ac off if my life depended on it.For the mile you might loose per gallon its not worth being a sweaty stinky mess.You should have a honda if you cant afford the gas for ac. IMO
Old 08-08-2005, 01:57 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

I wasn't questioning what the question/ myth was, I just thought it was well known that ac is worse for mileage and I was saying that there is nothing mythical or unknown about it. I can read very well, damnit. I got 700 on the non-math part of the SATs, so there.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:01 PM
bahbahblacksheep
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 99saleen351r

I get a kick out of people trying to get good gas mileage with a stang....Who cares what the gas mileage is with the ac on???If its that important to you you bought the wrong car!I wouldnt have the ac off if my life depended on it.For the mile you might loose per gallon its not worth being a sweaty stinky mess.You should have a honda if you cant afford the gas for ac. IMO
I guess its kinda like the guy who orders 2 large pizzas with everything on it...and then orders a diet coke.

Old 08-08-2005, 02:08 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bahbahblacksheep

ORIGINAL: 99saleen351r

I guess its kinda like the guy who orders 2 large pizzas with everything on it...and then orders a diet coke.

EXACTLY...Thats half of my fat friends
Old 08-08-2005, 02:22 PM
4600cc
I ♥ Acer

While doing ignition tuning using megajolt I got some real life data. Having AC off, having clutch fan removed, or otherwise having less load on the engine allows you advance timing more, which results in engine's better thermal efficiency, it amounts to more power, and better fuel economy. A lighter vehicle also reduces load on the engine, so the lighter you go, the more power you can make, especially if engine can accelerate in gear over 1000 rpms every second.

As far as me driving without AC, nah. I could during December and January, but the rest of the year is too hot.

AL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Common Myth?