General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Window is giving me hell

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 06:43 PM
boss95

Default Window is giving me hell

Ok so the problem is the window will go up and down but needs assistance for about 1/2 the way in either direction but when it starts to need assistance it makes a popping sound almost like its stripping out but idk. Any info would be great. Thanks
Old 01-25-2011, 07:03 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by boss95
Ok so the problem is the window will go up and down but needs assistance for about 1/2 the way in either direction but when it starts to need assistance it makes a popping sound almost like its stripping out but idk. Any info would be great. Thanks
Need a little more info, maybe a video clip if possible. But, from the sound of it my 08 has a tsb for the bounce back/one touch feature(or whatever its called) messing up. When I bought mine it was ice on the inside that was sticking to the glass, and not allowing the glass to move. Yours could be the motor or if you have a lot of snow where you live try jamming a small disk in the outer edge of the window where the bottom seal meets the glass and see if that doesnt remove the ice. Just BE CAREFUL not to jam it somewhere and break something. Got the idea off this forum haha.
Sorry if this isnt the info youre looking for, Im not the most saavy mustang owner around here. =(
Old 01-25-2011, 07:16 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

Sounds like the motor going. Might try here http://www.windowmotor.com/index.cfm . I got a couple for a 93 Explorer with good luck.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:53 AM
Fox466
1st Gear Member

I just wrapped up having to re-epoxy my drivers side window into the track in two out of the three locations, as it was doing basically the same thing due to being in a bind.

Take the panel off and run it up and down while trying to see where the issue lies...
Old 01-29-2011, 02:48 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Popping sound means you likely need a new regulator, the window motor will do many things but a popping sound is not one of them. It's the frame that supports the glass from underneath; there is a stamp-cut piece of steel with teeth that connect to the teeth on the window motor sprocket, this piece is just spot welded on to the register assembly and one or more of the spot welds has likely broken (there are only 3 welds) and now this piece is not making good contact with the sprocket on the motor. It cannot be welded back on. You can get a new register from RockAuto.com for about $60, and (per the book that shops go by) labor time to r & r is 0.7hrs. I just went through this about a year ago on my driver's door.