General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

help with electrical

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 09:00 PM
BlackStallion99

Default help with electrical

whats up guys/girls? need some quick help..

to start off, i have a 99 mustang gt with a 5.4l swap.. since ive gotten the vehicle ive driven it 5 times (bad weather) anyways, ive noticed the headlights and dash lights dim and brighten non stop while driving, not much just enough to notice and **** me off. well i 1st suspected a bad alternator, then the battery. then it got worse. now the volt meter rises and falls often and have to hit the gas or let off and it comes back up and the lights brighten..ok it must be my alternator! so i take the battery out, charge it really well, put it back in and the same thing.. must be my battery! then it decides it doesnt want to start and just clicks.. and when it does turn over its super slow.. battery for sure! replaced the battery... not the battery! i got it to fire tonight drove it around..still doing it. noticed if i hit a bump it would raise to where its supposed to be on the volt meter. hit another and it would drop. long story short, when the car gets shaken around by either gasing it or hitting bumps it fixes it for a few..im now guessing a bad connection. so ive check all battery connections from the battery to the alternator and to the core support, all ok. the only one i havent checked is to the starter..but i wouldnthing think that ground has anything to do with the lights and volt meter with it being a closed circuit unless the key is being turned over.. anyways i seached on here and found nothing. so any help would be great cause im really wanting to take a baseball bat to the car right now.. oh and when the gauges drops all the way down. the head lights and gauge lights stay on but dim, the radio shuts off and the ABS light comes on..??? no clue!
Old 03-02-2011, 04:23 PM
BlackStallion99

thanks guys, thats exactly what i thought it was too!