General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Cometic HG Leaking after rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 04:26 PM
Turbosl2
1st Gear Member

Question Cometic HG Leaking after rebuild

Needs some insight.
I put AFR 185cc heads on my car when i built the motor a few years ago Engine was built from the bottom up, all new, resurfaced and cleaned.

HG on Drivers side has dripped a few drops of coolant from the bottom side of the of the head gasket since day one. It requires me to keep the overflow full every few weeks. I have only put about 2500 miles on the engine in the last 3 years.

I tried overtorquing the arp head studs about 20ft lbs and it help. The AFR heads haev a 3/4" deck to avoid warping.

I sprayed the gasket with copper HG spray when i installed, this engine was no different than any others i built. What do you think the issue is? Its only the drivers side

I have been told it would seal up eventually, alot of cometic HGs do this and its the nature of the beast.

The good thing is it does not SPRAY out, just a few drops here and there, but that does mean it uses coolant.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:52 PM
Turbosl2
1st Gear Member

Any ideas?
Old 03-13-2011, 03:07 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

tell you what I do you may not like it but it works every time and I have had no issues. Put a can of stop leak in it. then drive it around for a few days then drain it back out if you want. I have drained it and I have left it in it has worked for me both ways.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:56 PM
Turbosl2
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by uedlose
tell you what I do you may not like it but it works every time and I have had no issues. Put a can of stop leak in it. then drive it around for a few days then drain it back out if you want. I have drained it and I have left it in it has worked for me both ways.
Which brand of stop leak works for you (can you send me a link). There are about 15 different ones but i would like to use something i know works.

Was your HG doing the same thing?
Are they cometics?

How long does this stuff last for?

Thanks
Old 03-14-2011, 06:35 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

I used Bars stop leak or the justice brothers. Yes I had a head gasket leaking a small amount. yes they where Cometics. it will last for a long time most of the time till you have to pull it apart.I started putting a can in every time I used the cometics for my own car and customers also whenever I used any MLS gasket. I have never had the problem with leakage since
Old 03-14-2011, 04:31 PM
Turbosl2
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by uedlose
I used Bars stop leak or the justice brothers. Yes I had a head gasket leaking a small amount. yes they where Cometics. it will last for a long time most of the time till you have to pull it apart.I started putting a can in every time I used the cometics for my own car and customers also whenever I used any MLS gasket. I have never had the problem with leakage since
If you would not mind would you please pick from this list and let me know which one it is.
This company has like 10 of these things for cooling systems, lol

http://www.barsproducts.com/barsleaks_products.htm
Old 03-14-2011, 08:03 PM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Turbosl2
If you would not mind would you please pick from this list and let me know which one it is.
This company has like 10 of these things for cooling systems, lol

http://www.barsproducts.com/barsleaks_products.htm
the first one on top of the list is what I used but the one under it for the 4cly. would work also. I have seen the tablet form used at GM dealerships lots of time so they cant be that bad either YES at the dealer it was required to be used in some head gasket replacement jobs.. Like I said I used the one on the top of the page.