General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

New User, first Mustang... and my first door scratch!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 04:27 PM
arariel

Question New User, first Mustang... and my first door scratch!

Just this week, I had my old Buick finally die on me, so I decided it was now or never, and bought my first Mustang (I've wanted one since I was a kid)... I found a 2010 V6 Convertible, 41k miles on it, right in my price range. Took it for a test drive, and I was in LOVE.

I still can't really believe it's mine, and I'm totally committed to making sure this car gets treated right.

I've suddenly become a MUCH more careful driver / parker, and yet somehow, still, today I discovered a scratch on my passenger door, very obviously from someone opening their own car door into mine. There's no dent, just a black scratch in the silver paint, just under an inch long. Some of my friends are telling me I can go to a ford dealership, and get a touch-up kit, but I'm not sure... how well do those work? Would it be better to just have someone repair the scratch for me, or is the cost of that not worth it? How durable are the touch-up paints?
I definitely don't want to just leave it be, and want to figure out what the best option would be, and how much I can expect to spend on something like this.

Thanks for your time!
Old 04-02-2011, 09:09 AM
PoisonIvy
1st Gear Member

I've found you can 'buff out' alot of door marks/dings. If it's more of a mark vs a deep scratch, it may come out.