General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Removing Air bag junk, How much weight saved VS Time and effort

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 09:47 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Removing Air bag junk, How much weight saved VS Time and effort

So how do you really feel? So when you get in an accident when you don't have airbags in you become a ***. how does this happen does the grim reeper *** rape you just before you die Any way I don't think anyone would deny that airbags are a safty issue the reason I replaced mine with covers is because mine where stolen and I plan on going legal road racing with my car. So when I drive my 85 GT does that also make me a *** and an Idiot? Or how about everyone that drives a older car
ORIGINAL: 4600cc

Don't argue with the idiot. Let him remove the air bags, get into an accident, and ****ing die like a ***. Mustang is not a car to crash in to begin with, and once you start removing safety restrains, you really have a death wish.

Weight saving. Remove the roof liner. Idiot!
Old 08-30-2005, 11:29 AM
ToplessGT
3rd Gear Member

what the crap! I have 2 cars that dont have airbags, that makes me a ***? I also purchased a salvaged mustang and dont plan on replacing the airbags in that either. I guess im a huge *** now, huh? Airbags only do so much, i still wear my seatbelt. Oh, and the reason this bothers me so much is because i had a friend killed in an accident..drunk driver hit the front corner head on...oh, and yes the airbag did go off. Airbags dont guarantee a walk from an accident, only helps.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:55 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

Don't argue with the idiot. Let him remove the air bags, get into an accident, and ****ing die like a ***. Mustang is not a car to crash in to begin with, and once you start removing safety restrains, you really have a death wish.

You don't even know if this car is street driven anymore, for all you know it could be an all out race car. Honestly your comments are rude and completely uncalled for. The guy asked a legitimate question about the weight of the airbags, he did not ask if he SHOULD do it. This is the tech section please either answer the question at hand some form of intelligence or STFU.
You will save about 20-25 lbs total from both airbags. If you do it right you can save the cover on the passenger side and just make some tabs and use a little velcrow to cover the hole. I know because I have don this, but that makes me *** who is going to die so don't listen to me.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:42 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

For a factory airbag equipped car, it is illegal to remove them if it's a street driven car. In fact, I think it was in 96 that air bags became mandatory. I believe it was up to the manufacturer to put air bags in cars.

I think Ford & GM adopted the air bags in sports cars around 90/91?
Old 08-30-2005, 01:11 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

For a factory airbag equipped car, it is illegal to remove them if it's a street driven car. In fact, I think it was in 96 that air bags became mandatory. I believe it was up to the manufacturer to put air bags in cars.

I think Ford & GM adopted the air bags in sports cars around 90/91?
So I may have been wrong about it being illegal, but thats not the point anyways, like the cop is going to check to see if you have air bags, and even at inspection places or emissions they don't look for that. If it throws a code that can also be shut off vie a custom tune.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:17 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

I wasn't debating anything brotha.

I was just informing
Old 08-30-2005, 01:49 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

As far as I know you can not remove air bags and it them on the street.You can not get an inspection sticker that way.Why would you want to do that anyways??All classes for racing have a weigh in anyways and most have to weigh 3200 pounds so cutting all the weight is useless cause you have to add a bunch of weight to race.Removeing the airbags to save maybe 20 pounds if your lucky is pretty dumb.But do what youd like we might have one less dumbbell to deal with then
Old 08-30-2005, 01:53 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JD1969

You don't even know if this car is street driven anymore, for all you know it could be an all out race car. Honestly your comments are rude and completely uncalled for. The guy asked a legitimate question about the weight of the airbags, he did not ask if he SHOULD do it. This is the tech section please either answer the question at hand some form of intelligence or STFU.
You will save about 20-25 lbs total from both airbags. If you do it right you can save the cover on the passenger side and just make some tabs and use a little velcrow to cover the hole. I know because I have don this, but that makes me *** who is going to die so don't listen to me.
In that case it has to weigh a certain amount which in no class is the weight less than 3200 pounds I get a kick out of people stripping there car and going to the track to find out they have to put 5 tires and three tool boxes in the hatch to weigh in.....My dumb *** friend did that and we spent an hour trying to find enough weight to add in to weigh in.He ended up having two tires a tool box and like 5 girls pocket books to get it right.I think if we had like 10 pocketbooks we could have been right on the money (cause those things weight like 20 pounds each)but we coldnt find anymore girls that would give us there pocket books to leave in a stang while he raced
Old 08-30-2005, 02:10 PM
4600cc
I ♥ Acer

to fine tune, take a dump if there is too much weight, eat some kfc if there is too little weight.

another safety feature government is keeping from you all, is if you don't wear your sit belt you will be thrown clear of the wreck. that's a fact. insurance companies even give discounts if you don't wear you sit belts. so watch them evil air bags and sit belts, take em all out. you get 1. less weight and better performance, 2. more safety.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:27 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

to fine tune, take a dump if there is too much weight, eat some kfc if there is too little weight.

another safety feature government is keeping from you all, is if you don't wear your sit belt you will be thrown clear of the wreck. that's a fact. insurance companies even give discounts if you don't wear you sit belts. so watch them evil air bags and sit belts, take em all out. you get 1. less weight and better performance, 2. more safety.
I wear SEAT BELTS, if you want to wear a sit belt thats up to you.

Quick Reply: Removing Air bag junk, How much weight saved VS Time and effort