General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cobra Continues to Overheat-Is The Dealership Fleecing Me?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 02:02 PM
CobraRookie

Default Cobra Continues to Overheat-Is The Dealership Fleecing Me?

I have a 2001 Cobra and know nothing about cars (I inherited this car a while back). My car was overheating about 4 months ago, took it to a local Ford dealership and they said coolant was leaking into the radiator. I paid a bunch of money and got that fixed. A couple of weeks later it was overheating again, went back to the dealership, and this time they found that coolant was leaking into the engine. I found it odd that a second coolant leak occurred so soon after the first one. But since I know nothing, I paid for this service and went on my way.

The car was running fine for about 4 months and then overheated for a third time. After running the latest diagnostic, they said there is a blown head gasket and that coolant is now leaking into the combustion chamber. I asked why there is a third type of coolant leak and why this wasn’t uncovered by one of the earlier diagnostics. They said the gaskets passed the earlier checks. They may have been “hanging by a thread” the first couple of times and didn’t legitimately pop up on their radar.

I have been given a rough quote of $700 in parts on $1600 in labor. I am using a cheap rental car while I decide what to do. Are these 3 legitimate different leaks and service calls or am I being fleeced here? Should I take the time to find a reliable mechanic in the area for a cheaper rate? What could I have done differently?

Thanks.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:40 PM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

To me they are blowing smoke up your ***. With the first overheating problem they should have checked the HG's for issues and done a compression test. I would ask them if they did a CT after the first issue as that is a no brainer, also after the 2nd problem they said coolent was going into the engine? Where in the engine? Because a blown HG would cause coolent to leak into the cylinders (engine). There is something more to this me thinks and I would go back and talk to the manager.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:05 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Yep, if #2 was leaking into the engine... you had a head gasket issue at that point they should have checked. Keep an eye on your temp gauge while you drive (especially in the city or while idling) and shut her down if you see it start to climb. If it over heats repeatedly, you risk doing a lot of extra damage to the motor/heads.

Have you noticed a loss of coolant in the system?
White smoke in the exhaust?
When is it overheating? (Highway vs city driving)