General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is this a coolant problem?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 04:53 PM
Laney47

Question Is this a coolant problem?

I don't see my particular year Mustang so not sure I"m in the right place so if someone could direct me, I'd appreciate it.
I have a 2002 Mustang GT and on the way home from work tonight I noticed (for lack of a better way to describe it) a "crackling-like" sound, especially whenever I would slow down like for a traffic light or to make a turn. It was then that I noticed my temperature gauge was slowly creeping up....I do know that it's always been in the cool area so by the time I got home it was halfway on the temp. gauge.
Since I"m a woman, know absolutely nothing about cars except put gas in them, (and of course oil change, tuneup when needed), I am not sure what this is, so I"m thinking it's low on coolant? I got the book out, read to let the engine cool down then slowly open the radiator cap to release pressure...and I know right about now you guys are saying..OMG..what a dummy...but honestly when you live alone and there's no man around when you need them, help!!
Everyone has always been so nice and helpful on this forum. So is there any particular thing I should be doing after I put coolant in? I know it's the 50/50 (coolant and distilled water, which I have). Do just let it sit, do I start it up or what? Would sure appreciate a quick answer. Thanks so much!
Old 04-18-2012, 06:54 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Once you put the coolant in, you should be able to replace the cap and start it up.

"crackling" when slowing though doesn't sound normal for a simple low coolant problem.

I would also suggest checking the condition of the accessory drive belt at the front of the engine (this drives the water pump among other things). Look for cracks and/or splits (with the engine stopped of course).

Oil level should also be checked with the dipstick on the engine (oil starvation can also cause engine temps to rise)
Old 04-19-2012, 07:56 AM
Laney47

Hi Torch, thanks for answering! I checked the coolant and it's right where it's supposed to be...started the car up, and let it run a few minutes. After a couple of minutes the needle on the temp gauge started to move up very slowly about to where, comparing it to the gas gauge, a little over 1/4 tank mark. I just shut it off and let it sit overnight. This morning I checked to see if I could see any leaks under the car, and anywhere in the engine compartment. Nothing!
As I drove to work this morning, the temperature needle again moved up and stopped at (again using the gas gauge as a comparison) where it would be 1/2 tank mark. It stayed there the entire trip to work which was about 20 minutes. Never moved up or down. As for the "crackling" sound, I'm wondering if it had anything to do with the gas I put in? I was told that I could use regular every other fill up if need be, as normally I would put in midgrade. The last fillup I did use regular so perhaps that crackling could have been a bit of a knocking sound....this morning I filled up with high-test and on the way to work there was no noise.
So My question is, as long as the needle is sitting at the 1/2 mark I"m assuming all is okay? Obviously if it goes up and into the "red zone" I need to stop and shut it off. My son told me that basically the gauges are pretty much "dummy gauges" anyway and they are not really accurate so the needle staying in the middle should be fine....(I hope!). Thanks again for the input...like I said everyone has always been great helping me with questions, and not making fun of me if they are stupid!! lol Have a great day!
Old 04-19-2012, 05:12 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Yeah, halfway mark should be fine. Your son is right, the factory gauge isn't what anyone would consider a precision instrument.

The crackling is still a bit of a puzzle. If it was low grade gas and the engine was pinging, that could maybe be described as crackling, but that mostly happens when the engine is under load (meaning you would be far more likely to hear it while accelerating, not slowing down).