General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New Scat Rods... Help ! ! !

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 10:31 PM
turt
2nd Gear Member

Default New Scat Rods... Help ! ! !

I am building a 302 and i got some scat rods. I am not sure which sides of the rods face each other. The only difference in the rods that I can see is on the big end. One side seems to be a bit off centered to the other and the machiened surface is wider in one side. If anyone has any idea of what i am trying to say please let me know which side goes where. lol....
Old 10-08-2005, 11:09 PM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

Default RE: New Scat Rods... Help ! ! !

im guessing you got new bearings too ??? since everythings new, it doesnt matter which way they go......the "big end" goes on the crank and the "small end" goes inside the piston with the wristpin thru it. thats all. ive never seen a "big end" of rods that are diff sizes on the side of 'em
Old 10-09-2005, 12:21 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: Grn N Gry 5OH

im guessing you got new bearings too ??? since everythings new, it doesnt matter which way they go......the "big end" goes on the crank and the "small end" goes inside the piston with the wristpin thru it. thats all. ive never seen a "big end" of rods that are diff sizes on the side of 'em
WOAH THERE!!!. It is absolutly critical that the rods go in a certain way. There is a small chamfer on the rod that should go towards the crank side, if they are not put in correctly the motor will not turn over or will turn over very hard. PS did you also set the thrust bearing and check for the correct amount of crank end play?
Old 10-09-2005, 02:55 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Also you REALLY should have it taken to a shop after you do the Pre-Assebly and have them Ballance and blueprint it for you. That way there can be no error's. Find a good shop that stands behind their work with some sort of warenty. They will take the engine apart again to make sure that everything was installed correctly and they will weight each item to make sure that everything is exactly ballanced and even.

And JD1969 is completly correct on this one, it is very vital that they fact the right way, the pistons also have to face a certain direction.

Good luck and have fun.

-Eric-
Old 10-09-2005, 03:16 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: NeoTokyo

Also you REALLY should have it taken to a shop after you do the Pre-Assebly and have them Ballance and blueprint it for you. That way there can be no error's. Find a good shop that stands behind their work with some sort of warenty. They will take the engine apart again to make sure that everything was installed correctly and they will weight each item to make sure that everything is exactly ballanced and even.

And JD1969 is completly correct on this one, it is very vital that they fact the right way, the pistons also have to face a certain direction.

Good luck and have fun.

-Eric-
Thanks for the props. BTW a balance and blue print is actually done befor the assembly
Old 10-10-2005, 02:56 PM
turt
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all the advice.... especially about the chamfer part... I read the message after finishing the rotating assembly though. Luckely I figured thats how it went together. Mostly because the caps would not install the other way (lol). I did have everything balanced prior to the build, and I have reconditioned a chevy small block before so Im not compoletely clueless. This is my first build from scratch though so its a bit more complex. Thanx again for the re-assureance.