General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Unknown Fuel Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 03:37 PM
TaylorLetsGo

Default Unknown Fuel Problem

2001 Mustang 3.8L

I drove it on Tuesday of last week, on Wednesday it would not work. The engine fired correctly but would not crank. I thought it might be a fuel pump issue. Using some starting fluid I was able to get it to crank for about 30 sec. I then proceeded to test if the fuel pump was getting power, it was. I removed the fuel pump and tested it. The pump works fine. I reinstalled the fuel pump and things got weird. The car still didn't crank but when the key was turned to the on position the a/c fan came. After some research I found that the CCRM controls the power to both the fuel pump and a/c fan. I changed out the CCRM and there was no change. The fan is still coming on when the key is in the on position and the car doesn't crank.

Also the inertia switch is in the correct position.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:42 PM
petrock
4th Gear Member

I’m confused. If it doesn’t crank (motor doesn’t spin) then how did it run when you put starter fluid in the intake? Maybe you have your terms mixed up. “No Crank” means that the motor doesn’t spin when you turn the key. "No Start” means the motor spins but doesn’t keep spinning when you let go of the key. I think you’re talking about a No Start issue, not a No Crank issue.

It sounds like a fuel issue. Rent a fuel pressure gauge from your local auto parts store and test that you have fuel pressure at the fuel rail. If you have pressure, then test for spark. If you don’t have pressure check that the fuel pump is turning on when you try t start the car. If not, check the flu pump relay to make sure it is clicking on when you try to start the car. If it does, then make sure there is power in the whole for pin 30 of the fuel pump relay. If it does, then work your way back to the fuel pump and make sure you have _both_ power & ground. You need both. Once you’ve done all that and still haven’t figured out the problem, post back up into this thread and we’ll see if there are any other tests you can do…

Good luck...
Old 11-27-2013, 08:08 AM
TaylorLetsGo

Sorry about the confusion...it has always cranked but never started. Thanks for the tips. I have found conflicting reports on the "fuel pump relay." Are you referring to the unit located in the trunk before the inertia switch?

Thanks again.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:17 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

The fuel pump relay is the little black box in the fuse box under the hood.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:24 PM
alfred9744

my car has been doing something similar after sitting for a couple of days. think it might be the fuel pressue transducer.