General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Another "getting Hot" thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 12:46 AM
sethg182

Default Another "getting Hot" thread

hey guys,

Long time no post. Glad to be back! But I wish it was with good news. I recently got my AC charged up thinking I was going to start driving my stang around a little more often. A little about the car...Vortech supercharged, 3.73's, jba shorty headers, Griffin Rad. Im not sure how many cores...its pretty thick. Electric fan, 2 speed. both speeds work. Earlier in the year I cleaned the temperature sensor in the winter and the needle would either stay in the middle of "Normal" or hang out near the O or the R when I started moving. Now I expect a little rise in temp because this summer in Las Vegas, its been 108 with no end in sight so far in the month of june. But my needle has been floating near the M-A-L on the gauge. Ive been cycling the AC on and off and I try to keep the car moving as much as possible. It does come down a tad when i start moving, but not much. I had the cooling system serviced only 2500 miles ago and this is my sunday car. where should I start to see if I could get the temp more steady? Ive noticed the sn95 isnt very friendly with air flow availability on the front end. Reading up on this issue, seems like we all go through this. I want the cobra R bumper someday...it seems to have a bigger opening up front than the stock bumpers. Ideas and thoughts are appreciated!
Old 06-29-2015, 10:23 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

First, I wouldn't base anything off the stock gauges, get a good aftermarket gauge or just hit the thermostat housing with an infrared thermometer for a quick check. You may be just fine, but if over 215-220, maybe adjust the fan to come on sooner. You have 3 things working against you. The Las Vegas heat, running the air, and the blower all building heat under that hood.

That's really tough to cool if your just putt- putting in town.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:37 PM
sethg182

thanks for the response. My commute is mainly highway...but when there's traffic coming home my speed dies down to 25-35 and stop and go for course. Or I divert my route going through town...and its the same problem. its miserable in 110 degree heat. this situation is a good reason for me to grab one of those laser temp guns at harbor freight. If I go get a real temp gauge, What should I have it read? coolant or oil temp?
Old 06-29-2015, 03:46 PM
sethg182

One more thing, How can I change to have the fan come on sooner? Its an electric fan with what I can tell a 2 speed controller. All I can see is harnesses hooked up to the fan and controller. I wish I had more info, I bought the car like with its current set up. IM surprised that even with a griffin Rad the needle is still up there.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:00 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

You'd want a coolant temp gauge, and if it's aftermarket controller for the fan, they are adjustable for what temp they kick on/off. There would be a dial or screw on the controller box.

But first, I'd just verify the actual temps with another gauge or infrared thermometer. And the Harbor Freight one works OK for a month or two, but mine started reading about 150' higher than whatever I was measuring, and it wouldn't reset no matter what I did. Just my opinion though, good luck.

Last edited by 88 orangepeel notch; 06-30-2015 at 08:08 AM.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:38 AM
sethg182

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
You'd want a coolant temp gauge, and if it's aftermarket controller for the fan, they are adjustable for what temp they kick on/off. There would be a dial or screw on the controller box.

But first, I'd just verify the actual temps with another gauge or infrared thermometer. And the Harbor Freight one works OK for a month or two, but mine started reading about 150' higher than whatever I was measuring, and it wouldn't reset no matter what I did. Just my opinion though, good luck.
Ill start with the temp gun...for only 35 bucks or so its a lot cheaper than buying a gauge for 185. auto meter stuff is expensive. but worth it.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:31 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Yeah, the gauges are expensive new, but I just searched Craigslist for a couple days. Ended up finding a complete set of Autometer gauges, oil, coolant, and volt, with the A pillar mount for $75. I'm a cheap bastard though lol.

Last edited by 88 orangepeel notch; 07-06-2015 at 07:30 AM.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:18 PM
sethg182

Originally Posted by 88 orangepeel notch
Yeah, the gauges are expensive new, but I just searched Craigslist for a couple days. Ended up finding a complete set of Automated gauges, oil, coolant, and volt, with the A pillar mount for $75. I'm a cheap bastard though lol.

Hey I know how it is! For how much money we can put into these cars I shop and wait for used parts as much as possible. When cars guys alike take care of their vehicles, the used parts are just as good as new.