General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Need help with '16 GT

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 12:17 AM
DZ408

Default Need help with '16 GT

So I'll try to keep this simple. I have the 16 gt premium automatic. Decided to get the bama tune CnL CAI combo. Installed and my throttle body started making a clicking sound. Went back to stock, sound remained, car got sluggish, ford replaced the throttle body. No they didn't void my warranty. Had Bama rewrite tunes, but with my stock intake. TB is fine but on a cold start my car has an rpm surge, shakes and drives a little jerky til it warms up. Also a rattle noise for half a second when accelerating hard. In S mode the car would decelerate hard when I tapped the brakes to the point it would throw me forward. Did a datalog for Bama, haven't heard back. Meanwhile flashed back to stock. Now on my stock tune I have the same cold start issues and occasional rattle. I know for a fact my rpm's weren't surging like that and the car wasn't shaky til I started messing with it. Hesitant to go back to Ford and risk the warranty.

Any general ideas as to what's going on? Obviously the problems lies somewhere in the intake system. I'm happy to elaborate on any of this and really appreciate any ideas.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:43 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forum, sorry I can't help, but if you don't get any responses here, try starting a new thread in the Tech section. There's a section specific to your year Mustang and they may know more in there. Good luck
Old 09-04-2016, 02:47 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Everyone wants to make theirs special... including me... but I decided I'd either put a supercharger on it, or leave it stock, because they run pretty good stock. Frankly the moderate increases gained by tuning the 16 GT don't seem to be worth the expense & problems to me, but's hard to get a new GT & leave it alone.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:24 PM
Jim Bronson

Is the supercharger covered under the warranty?
Old 09-23-2016, 11:33 AM
C1Forged
Former Sponsor

OTS tuners usually tune both the ECM, and the TCM, which would explain the harsh engine breaking in S mode, as they make the stock programming more aggressive. Also, if the tuner gave you a tuned file, and a "stock" file for you to flash back to stock, that will explain the surging issue. When an OTS tuner gives you a stock file, its a copy of whatever file was on the car they used to do the tuning on when they got it. And since no two cars are ever the same, the parameters were more than likely tweaked ever so slightly.

I've ran into this issue with a number of cars on different platforms. The best word of advice I can give anyone, is to get an OTS handheld if you want the ability to store multiple tunes; but regardless, get a proper pro tune on the dyno by a recommended tuner.
Old 09-23-2016, 02:09 PM
rextos
1st Gear Member

hope you get it sorted man, i had a bama tuner and it really effed up my ride and i had to get the computer replaced, so now i just try to keep everything stock and running nicely - if it's working fine don't **** with it is the mindset i have now. Better to keep my stock 300 hp maintained, rather than try to install a tune that may or may not really add any power, and may more likely than not **** up my car to 0 hp. My 4.6 is more than fast enough for me and drives like new just because of how well i have maintained it, so if i ever need more power i will get a new car! I see a lot of guys in my town that got their cars modded out - by which i mean they only have a CAI and axleback at most, and my car beats them stock simply because they don't maintain like i do :/

have you tried just disconnecting the battery for like 25 minutes and then reconnecting it to let everything reset and re calibrate? if you got the stock tune flashed it may be best to do that.

Originally Posted by Mr. D
Everyone wants to make theirs special... including me... but I decided I'd either put a supercharger on it, or leave it stock, because they run pretty good stock. Frankly the moderate increases gained by tuning the 16 GT don't seem to be worth the expense & problems to me, but's hard to get a new GT & leave it alone.
I actually agree with this, if you really want to make your car faster you should supercharge it and get it tuned and setup by a professional shop, though its very expensive, but smarter than having somebody email you a tune and flashing it in your car, and really i think its best to just maintain stock or go all the way out with an s/c.

Last edited by rextos; 09-23-2016 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:58 PM
6+6 Stang
5th Gear Member

I'll chime in a little, I just got a '16 and just want to go to cruise ins and tool around town and look good. On my '10 & '11 I played the game sort of under peer pressure and found the aluminum driveshaft, SCT Tuner and tune Cold air system Borla exhaust gave me maybe 10 more horsepower caused issues when went north and no one had 93 octane gas had to go back stock tune and ran like crap on 3000 mile trip. This new Stang seems great as is maybe, maybe I might go with just Borla atak black tip axle backs and no tune required, and that would just to make louder, good luck, oh side note young guy at parking lot today had '16 Eco boost he said where did you get your pipes I said those are stock LOL

Last edited by 6+6 Stang; 09-23-2016 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:32 PM
rextos
1st Gear Member

crazy to see how time flies and now everybody is sitting in an s550! i remember back when the s197s were new and exciting O.o maybe i will get one someday, though tbh i still prefer the 4.6 exhaust note to the 5.0 :P