General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1998 Mustang GT Shift issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 02:57 PM
Alexengland

Question 1998 Mustang GT Shift issues

I recently replaced my clutch and Flywheel with an Exedy stage 1 and my pilot and throwout bearings with Ford Racing parts, I replaced them in like April. Recently I find myself having to force my car into 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear it's almost like I have to wait for the gear to come back around before it will actually go into it if that makes any sense. So pretty much quick shifts are impossible. Does anybody know what would be causing these issues? I've had my clutch adjusted 3 times now and the mechanic basically came back and said the third time that the clutch is completely fine. I am car savvy I just didn't have the time or room to replace the clutch myself, so I had to pay someone else to even though I hate anybody working on my car except me and of course one of the times I do let someone else work on it this happens. I was reading on another forum and someone said something about a bent shift fork or rod could do this does that make sense? Thanks for reading, it's a 1998 Mustang GT btw.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:10 AM
347mav

Originally Posted by Alexengland
I recently replaced my clutch and Flywheel with an Exedy stage 1 and my pilot and throwout bearings with Ford Racing parts, I replaced them in like April. Recently I find myself having to force my car into 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear it's almost like I have to wait for the gear to come back around before it will actually go into it if that makes any sense. So pretty much quick shifts are impossible. Does anybody know what would be causing these issues? I've had my clutch adjusted 3 times now and the mechanic basically came back and said the third time that the clutch is completely fine. I am car savvy I just didn't have the time or room to replace the clutch myself, so I had to pay someone else to even though I hate anybody working on my car except me and of course one of the times I do let someone else work on it this happens. I was reading on another forum and someone said something about a bent shift fork or rod could do this does that make sense? Thanks for reading, it's a 1998 Mustang GT btw.
Clutch adjustment.
Old 09-24-2016, 10:18 AM
rextos
1st Gear Member

wishing you luck and hoping you can get it sorted out - this is just another reason i like to keep my cars factory OEM