General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 12:25 PM
cthuener

Default Spark Plugs

I have a 2009 GT/CS with MSD COPs. What spark plug should I be using? MSD recommends a solid copper plug. I understand they don't last long. I am thinking about the Iridium plugs.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:48 PM
Z28KLR
4th Gear Member

Copper would be best, in terms of conducting current. If you can find copper plugs for your car then that's what I would do - regardless of what MSD says or what coils you're running. If not then stick with the stock platinums. I say all of this not knowing what plug choices are commonly available for your car due to the two-piece plug design; I've only ever come across stock replacement plat's on the couple occasions I've dealt with a 3V Ford engine.

Only difference really between copper, platinum etc is service life. Platinums will typically last at least 50K, while copper are typically good to about 30K. Personally I've seen both last way longer than that before wearing to the point that electrode gap is beyond spec.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:51 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Z28KLR
Copper would be best, in terms of conducting current. If you can find copper plugs for your car then that's what I would do - regardless of what MSD says or what coils you're running. If not then stick with the stock platinums. I say all of this not knowing what plug choices are commonly available for your car due to the two-piece plug design; I've only ever come across stock replacement plat's on the couple occasions I've dealt with a 3V Ford engine.

Only difference really between copper, platinum etc is service life. Platinums will typically last at least 50K, while copper are typically good to about 30K. Personally I've seen both last way longer than that before wearing to the point that electrode gap is beyond spec.
09 is a completely different plug than early 08 and older.

OP go to Rock Auto and see what they offer for the 09 in terms of plug options.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:04 PM
cthuener

Thanks for the information, I went with the Platinums because I could not find anything with out waiting for at least a day for. The iridium Plugs that I had took out had a gap of about .056". When I put them in in 2013 They were gaped a .045. I am thinking that the plugs had about 30,000 -40,000 miles on them. I like the enhanced performance that I felt the MSD COPs provide.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:04 AM
Buck Sergeant
2nd Gear Member

Default Spark Plugs

cthuener sorry I got back to you late. Check this out. Confirms Z28KLR info.
Copper Spark Plugs

Copper spark plugs are generally considered to have the best performance of any spark plug type. This is potentially different from what advertising companies suggest, but the other metals are, unfortunately, not as conductive in general as copper is. Platinum and iridium plugs are more likely to overheat, which causes damage to the plug components and can compromise the delivery of the spark to the engine block.

Platinum and Iridium Plugs

Platinum and Iridium plugs perform at a lower level than copper spark plugs, because they are less conductive and they tend to overheat. However, the overall longevity of these two types of metal is better than copper plugs. In reality, copper has the best performance of all three and the worst longevity. Platinum has good longevity and the worst performance. Iridium has good longevity and a performance that is decent, which is why iridium plugs tend to be more expensive than any other type. Still, the difference between these plugs in terms of overall quality is minimal, as there is a trade off for each.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:31 AM
cthuener

Thanks for the Information. I will look for Some Iridium plugs on line as no one around here has them.