General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Nitrous for a 1993 stock motor ..... will it last

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 04:36 PM
Kidcruz

Default Nitrous for a 1993 stock motor ..... will it last

ive been looking at adding a little more power to my 1993 GT mustang 5 speed. The only thing my car has is a bbk cold air intake, BBk pulleys, BBk xpipe with flowmasters. I’m looking at nitrous kits and wondering would this blow the motor ? I’ve seen a bunch of other forums but just want to know flat out which kit can I use and how long will the motor last? I saw a post that the 93 GT mustang was made with crappy pistons but I’m not sure . Any help with be awesome thank you
Old 03-24-2018, 04:47 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

As a note, N2O will not increase your top speed, just get you there faster.

As the liquid nitrous is injected, it changes state to a gas due to the lack of pressure in the
surrounding air. When it changes to a gas, it drops in temperature to -88.5 degrees Celsius.
This is actually one of the ways it helps to increase horsepower. As it cools the intake charge,
it allows for more air in the cylinders, enabling you to burn more fuel.

Air isn’t very oxygen-dense (it’s 78 percent nitrogen), meaning much of the engine’s intake charge
is basically wasted space. That’s where nitrous comes in.

There will be extra heat and force on the pistons that the stock engine, drivetrain and cooling
system might not have been engineered to handle.

Old 03-24-2018, 10:18 PM
Kidcruz

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
As a note, N2O will not increase your top speed, just get you there faster.

As the liquid nitrous is injected, it changes state to a gas due to the lack of pressure in the
surrounding air. When it changes to a gas, it drops in temperature to -88.5 degrees Celsius.
This is actually one of the ways it helps to increase horsepower. As it cools the intake charge,
it allows for more air in the cylinders, enabling you to burn more fuel.

Air isn’t very oxygen-dense (it’s 78 percent nitrogen), meaning much of the engine’s intake charge
is basically wasted space. That’s where nitrous comes in.

There will be extra heat and force on the pistons that the stock engine, drivetrain and cooling
system might not have been engineered to handle.

https://youtu.be/AScojLj139A

but it will it hold up is my thing I saw a couple of kits and I’ll use the lowest shot
Old 03-25-2018, 12:57 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

The 4.9 (5.0 302) is the best V8 motor ford made. Their 300 I6 though, was a beast...

The video was to show you what a stock motor can take. Unless of course,
Ford motors are worse than Chevy motors.. But no, the Winsdor was the best
one for adding power. I think you're pretty safe with the 4.9, just just not sure
how much, but it should take a 150 shot no problem.

The 302 (4.9L) was used for 27 years, and were built to last. From what I remember, the
302 was made with more nickel in them, so they were a lot stronger. Even though
they had more parts to fail, Ford owners preferred it over the replacement 4.6 motor.
There were reports in 2004 that people had put 300,000+ miles on theirs, many more
with 100k with no mechanical issues. I saw one person who said his "buddy" had
750,000+ miles on his. Also, I worked with a guy who had one in his van, and he used
it for courier work, and it had well over 750,000 miles on it; burned some oil, but yeah,
tons of miles. He even sold it, still running, DIRT cheap. I read where people say theirs
has 200,000, and so on. Just make sure the oil is changed religiously. Dodge had their
318 motor, which would run forever if taken care of... The 318 was also used in a lot
of house boats back in the day...

The 302 had two stroker kits, 331 and 347 which is the most displacement you can get
without having to machine the block. The 302 was said to be the best candidate for adding
power. Not worth it now, to stroke one, you could get a new 5.0 crate motor.

Most of the Ford V8s were strong engines back in the day, but the 4.9L 302 is by far,
the best.

Last edited by 08'MustangDude; 03-25-2018 at 12:59 AM.