General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

QUESTIONS! Gear Heads Wanted!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 09:58 PM
MentalAcuity

Default QUESTIONS! Gear Heads Wanted!

Drive shaft, how important is it to upgrade (w/an automatic) when you're adding a power-adder?

Gears? Keep hearing all this talk about gears.. increasing to say a 4.10 would help with launching?

How does a dyno tune work? Performed by a performance shop, body shop, or hand held tuner?

When adding a super charger, would is be sufficient to order the kit, AND fuel injectors, fuel pump, MAF.. what else would you need for it to run long and strong?

I see gauges in super charged or turbo'd cars.. what the hell do they mean, how do you read them?

If someone goes from factory 18 in rims, and they want to go bigger to 20's, or smaller for whatever reason, will the stock tires fit different sized rims?

What does the number of cores on a supercharger signify?
Old 10-30-2005, 01:02 AM
seeugt
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: QUESTIONS! Gear Heads Wanted!

I don't have a brain
Old 10-30-2005, 01:50 AM
nitrous_bob
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MentalAcuity
Drive shaft, how important is it to upgrade (w/an automatic) when you're adding a power-adder?
not very, especially w/ an aod cuz you can't get a hard launch anyway. helps a bit w/ revving faster...but not much

Gears? Keep hearing all this talk about gears.. increasing to say a 4.10 would help with launching?
4.10's are a must in an aod to see a difference, and yes, much better launch

How does a dyno tune work? Performed by a performance shop, body shop, or hand held tuner?
performance shop, they adjust air/fuel ratio to optimize spark and hp

When adding a super charger, would is be sufficient to order the kit, AND fuel injectors, fuel pump, MAF.. what else would you need for it to run long and strong?
if your all stock and going to make about 7 lbs of boost , stock pump and inj are adequate, but you might get a 190 pump. over 300 hp you want to get 24 lb inj. and 190 for sure

what else to get? a new tranny , aod's suck a$$ and will break in a minute

I see gauges in super charged or turbo'd cars.. what the hell do they mean, how do you read them?
it depends what guage.....boost, fuel pressure, temp, tranny temp, oil temp, ???

If someone goes from factory 18 in rims, and they want to go bigger to 20's, or smaller for whatever reason, will the stock tires fit different sized rims?
absolutlely not....and what mustang had factory 18's?

i think your mistaken in what your asking. core has nothing to do w/ a blower , ona radiator yes...but not a blower

Old 10-30-2005, 01:32 AM
kartracer55
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nitrous_bob

i think your mistaken in what your asking. core has nothing to do w/ a blower , ona radiator yes...but not a blower

and heaters lol

and why the hell would you put 20's on a car you want to launch?????

Jim
Old 10-30-2005, 01:55 AM
MentalAcuity

ORIGINAL: nitrous_bob

not very, especially w/ an aod cuz you can't get a hard launch anyway. helps a bit w/ revving faster...but not much

4.10's are a must in an aod to see a difference, and yes, much better launch

performance shop, they adjust air/fuel ratio to optimize spark and hp

if your all stock and going to make about 7 lbs of boost , stock pump and inj are adequate, but you might get a 190 pump. over 300 hp you want to get 24 lb inj. and 190 for sure

what else to get? a new tranny , aod's suck a$$ and will break in a minute

it depends what guage.....boost, fuel pressure, temp, tranny temp, oil temp, ???

absolutlely not....and what mustang had factory 18's?

The kit I'm looking at is a ProCharger, it's able to produce 6-9 PSI... but just to be safe I would probably upgrade the pump and injectors anyway.

I was going to have a friend do the install, he knows what he's doing.. and he'll tune it with the SCT. Should I then take it directly to a local performance shop for the dyno?

Ok, the automatic trans will break with a supercharger? I intend on pushing a little over 300HP at the wheels.. would I need an upgrade even with a low boost (>10PSI)?? Or is this just a preference of manual vs. aod? How would I go about upgrading the trans on an AOD? I'm assuming "shifter assemblys" and various kits are designed for manuals?

I have an 06' 4.0L v6.. I have the premium wheels package (18" bullit wheels).

The ProCharger kit advertises a 3-core intercooler.. I was just looking for more info on intercooling.. would air-to-air stage II intercooler be better then say a water/methanol cooling system?
Old 10-30-2005, 05:46 AM
orange04
2nd Gear Member

Blows me away how someone who doesn't know that an 18in tire wont fit on a 20 inch rim can afford an 06 and blower. I personally think that if you lnow as little about cars as you appear to know, judging by your first post, you dont need a blower. The 06 a GT or V6, cuz the GT has 300 flywheel hp, so to achieve 300rwhp you dont need a blower, just a few bolt ons....but whatever...good luck.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:34 AM
seeugt
I ♥ Acer

Assnewb, strengthen the chassy if you going to do hard launches and install blower.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:13 AM
shane361
2nd Gear Member

First of all..not sure if you had a GT or a V6. If you have a v6 save your money and do not mod this car except for looks. That would be a waste of money. For example..I modded my 02 GT with every bolt on..then went Procharger. You will get to a point to where you HAVE to rebuild your motor to get more ponies and still be around 500rwhp. So I just bought a better plateform and started over and wish I never superchrged the GT. It was a huge waste of money for me. Lets assume you have a GT....its auto which is great for the track. For being great you need atleast 4.10 gears and a good Torque Converter. Most serious Cobra owners take out their standards for autos and install a solid rear axle. With the perfect setup a standard just wont keep up. But dont attempt this stock cause a standard will wax your butt. Your drive change would benifit in weight reduction if its like my 02 drive shaft. Weight to power ratios suck for our cars but so much you can do to change that. It all depends on where your going with your car. Thats something you need to determine now, before you spend all your money on it. 20 inch rims on your body style look great but dont expect to be dragging with them. You can always have a spare set just for the track though as many do. I wouldnt go with a procharger either. I have one so where as they make more power they get much hotter and break three times more belts than the Vortec. It is very very important that you get this mod installed and tuned by a very reputable person!!! Mine wanst and have had issues ever since. Superchargers can be a nightmare!!!! I would say.....pay on this car, stay bolt-ons and get a used 03/04 Cobra and mod the heck out of....my 2 cents-Shane
Old 10-30-2005, 04:44 PM
MentalAcuity

ORIGINAL: shane361

First of all..not sure if you had a GT or a V6. If you have a v6 save your money and do not mod this car except for looks. That would be a waste of money. For example..I modded my 02 GT with every bolt on..then went Procharger. You will get to a point to where you HAVE to rebuild your motor to get more ponies and still be around 500rwhp. So I just bought a better plateform and started over and wish I never superchrged the GT. It was a huge waste of money for me. Lets assume you have a GT....its auto which is great for the track. For being great you need atleast 4.10 gears and a good Torque Converter. Most serious Cobra owners take out their standards for autos and install a solid rear axle. With the perfect setup a standard just wont keep up. But dont attempt this stock cause a standard will wax your butt. Your drive change would benifit in weight reduction if its like my 02 drive shaft. Weight to power ratios suck for our cars but so much you can do to change that. It all depends on where your going with your car. Thats something you need to determine now, before you spend all your money on it. 20 inch rims on your body style look great but dont expect to be dragging with them. You can always have a spare set just for the track though as many do. I wouldnt go with a procharger either. I have one so where as they make more power they get much hotter and break three times more belts than the Vortec. It is very very important that you get this mod installed and tuned by a very reputable person!!! Mine wanst and have had issues ever since. Superchargers can be a nightmare!!!! I would say.....pay on this car, stay bolt-ons and get a used 03/04 Cobra and mod the heck out of....my 2 cents-Shane
I posted that it was an "06 4.0L v6".. Not worth the money to mod a v6? Spoken like a true GT-owner. I must've overlooked the fact that the 2002 GT was a whopping 50HP more powerful then my pathetic 6-banger. At what point did I ever say that I aspired to make a 500+ HP car? I'm NOT making a track car; it's a sunday driver that I would like to get 300-350HP at the wheels out of... Vortech doesn't have a kit available for the 4.0L v6, so ProCharger is the best bet.. and no buying a Cobra isn't an option lol (typical response by any GT owner when asking about modding a v6, "go buy a GT or a cobra"). Bottom line, I just want to know what I would have to replace on MY V6 to make it able to withstand a supercharger running low boost (7-9PSI). I'm about ready to give up on these forums, every other post is by a self-hating GT owner with low self esteem and dreams of nascar... give me a ****ing break. To the guys that try to help, thanks.. a lot, I don't have the means to figure it out on my own, and unfortunately I wasn't born with inherent knowledge of power-adders, like shane361 was.