General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

A hard to answer question and a not so hard...

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 10:57 PM
tuff5liter
2nd Gear Member

Default A hard to answer question and a not so hard...

have a 1991 GT Hatchback. Here are my mods....

BBK Cold Air Induction, 75mm Mass Air Flow Sensor, BBK Shorty Headers, BBK Off Road X-Pipe, Flowmaster 2 Chamber Mufflers, BBK 190 LPH Fuel Pump, FRPP 3.73 Gears, Wolverine/Blue Racer 1087 cam (289/299 duration with a 510/534 lift), 70mm Throttle Body, Steeda Upper Control Arms, Custom Digital Dash, and Granatelli Weight Jacker Lower Control Arms.

I am running WAYYYY rich. I put my car on the emissions machine at school and my HC's are way up in the 2500 range. I still have all of the normal emission equipment on my car (minus the cats), I dont think the cats would bring down the HC level bc i believe those are only for NOx. The only thing I can think of maybe that my cam is to big for my stock heads and intake. Im not real worried about getting a sticker in El Paso, but this next september I am moving back to Dallas, and from what I understand, they use the dyno now for the emissions test. I have thought about getting an E cam to replace the cam I have but I LOVE the way it sounds. Here is a link to a discussion about this cam in a 1994 lightening.

http://64.22.203.126/forum/showthrea...&postid=654285

Any advice to lean this car out would greatly help me out more than you will know. Thank You.[sm=dontgetit.gif]

Now for the easier question....

I currently have 3.73 gears, and I hardly noticed a difference to the stock 3.08 ratio. I have a gear whine in 4th gear at 35 mph, and I am assuming that it is because I let a "Retired Ford Mechanic" install them in his backyard, and also the gears were "slightly used." Since I want to replace the gears with a new set, how much of a difference will a set of 4.10 gears make compared to the 3.73's? Thanks :-)
Old 11-02-2005, 01:16 AM
mkspeed26
5th Gear Member

Default RE: A hard to answer question and a not so hard...

the cam is definately on the agressive side, especially with stock heads and intake. that size cam is usually more high-rpm range, which stock heads and intake will not support. so either look into getting new heads and intake, or drop the cam down a little.

or, if you still have the stock midpipe, just bolt that on there for the emissions test and swap it out later

edit: it isnt as big as i originally though. looking at the other specs on the website, i dont think the cam is necesarily too big. how is ur igntition setup?
Old 11-02-2005, 02:16 AM
tuff5liter
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mkspeed26

the cam is definately on the agressive side, especially with stock heads and intake. that size cam is usually more high-rpm range, which stock heads and intake will not support. so either look into getting new heads and intake, or drop the cam down a little.

or, if you still have the stock midpipe, just bolt that on there for the emissions test and swap it out later

edit: it isnt as big as i originally though. looking at the other specs on the website, i dont think the cam is necesarily too big. how is ur igntition setup?

The cats are just for NOx if i did my research correct, I still have the stock h pipe and will use that for my emissions testing. As for my ignition I just bought a MSD 6AL but I havent installed it just yet. Do you think this will help burn the fuel completely?
Old 11-02-2005, 10:58 AM
mkspeed26
5th Gear Member

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/catalytic-converter2.htm VOCs stands for Volotile Organic Compounds, which is the same as HCs (look at the previous page of the article). catalytic converters do reduce HCs
Old 11-03-2005, 01:04 AM
tuff5liter
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mkspeed26

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/catalytic-converter2.htm VOCs stands for Volotile Organic Compounds, which is the same as HCs (look at the previous page of the article). catalytic converters do reduce HCs
Well Ill be damn.....but i like not having Cats Do you know of a good hi flo three way catalytic converter, I could purchase for a decent price?
Old 11-03-2005, 02:15 AM
mkspeed26
5th Gear Member

go to summitracing.com, then type in part # MPE-93338 for the 2.5" version or MPE-93337 for the 2.25" version. i dont know how good they are, but it is pretty much all i could find