General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Beating emissions test

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 04:45 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Beating emissions test

ORIGINAL: 91stang

i'm just going by what i heard... if you're desperate it's worth a try i guess.

i didn't say that i'm sure it'll work just throwing it out there
im not saying your wrong it just sounds kinda strange to me. i don't have to mess with inspecitions here so i haven't ever delt with any of that.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:03 PM
91stang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

Holy huge signature batman! D oyou think you can make it smaller man?
thius was the only way i could figure out to get them on here. i'll just no put them up there
Old 11-14-2005, 08:01 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

No emissions testing down here in florida to even worry about for me. That's how i beat it.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:04 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: 91stang

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

Holy huge signature batman! D oyou think you can make it smaller man?
thius was the only way i could figure out to get them on here. i'll just no put them up there

Thanks
Old 11-14-2005, 08:08 PM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Buy the guy a 12 pack and give him $100 and you will pass.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:31 PM
garygreen211
I ♥ Acer

There is some stuff you can do to pass the test:

1) Make sure the ignition system is in good working condition. Do a tune up. Check and replace if needed PCV, EGR, fuel filter, air filter. Get rid of your K&N, and stick in paper filter. Oil from the reusable filters can drive up the emissions.

2) Make sure your engine is equipped with a working catalytic converters. HiFlow type sux. You want two inline per pipe, as per factory specs. So this means a down pipe swap.

3) Retune your ECU, 14.7:1 is the ideal (stoichiometric) AFR for the gasoline. Both, running rich and running lean will bump up the emissions.

4) As long as you're tuning, retard your timing by 5 to 10 BTDC. The decreased thermal efficiency of the engine will create hotter exhaust gasses, which in turn prolongs the burn and also helps the catalytic converters to operate at peak efficiency.

5) Increase idle speed. 950 rpm sounds just about right for our engines.

6) Increase the ON temp for the electric fan to 200 to 210 degrees.

7) Add alcohol (this is also available as gasoline anti-freeze) to your fuel tank. Start by putting twice the recommended amount for the anti-freeze. Alcohol introduces additional oxygen into the combustion process, ensuring a complete burn.

Gary
Old 11-14-2005, 08:35 PM
garygreen211
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Tim37
won't backing the timing down making it fire closter to tdc make it burn less fuel since it is firing later in the rotation?

No. Retarding timing creates hotter exhaust gasses due to decreased thermal efficiency of the engine, prolonging the burn and helping the cats operate in their peak efficiency.

Gary
Old 11-14-2005, 08:41 PM
garygreen211
I ♥ Acer

sounds kinda strange to me. i don't have to mess with inspecitions here so i haven't ever delt with any of that.

Combustion of air and fuel does not end inside the cumbustion chamber. Catalytic converters suppose to burn the unburned. If you have no cats, you often get a flame.

Gary
Old 11-14-2005, 08:49 PM
dan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: garygreen211

There is some stuff you can do to pass the test:

1) Make sure the ignition system is in good working condition. Do a tune up. Check and replace if needed PCV, EGR, fuel filter, air filter. Get rid of your K&N, and stick in paper filter. Oil from the reusable filters can drive up the emissions.

2) Make sure your engine is equipped with a working catalytic converters. HiFlow type sux. You want two inline per pipe, as per factory specs. So this means a down pipe swap.
3) Retune your ECU, 14.7:1 is the ideal (stoichiometric) AFR for the gasoline. Both, running rich and running lean will bump up the emissions.

4) As long as you're tuning, retard your timing by 5 to 10 BTDC. The decreased thermal efficiency of the engine will create hotter exhaust gasses, which in turn prolongs the burn and also helps the catalytic converters to operate at peak efficiency.

5) Increase idle speed. 950 rpm sounds just about right for our engines.

6) Increase the ON temp for the electric fan to 200 to 210 degrees.

7) Add alcohol (this is also available as gasoline anti-freeze) to your fuel tank. Start by putting twice the recommended amount for the anti-freeze. Alcohol introduces additional oxygen into the combustion process, ensuring a complete burn.

Gary
im sure everyone appriciates the advice and all.. but the whole point of trying to pass is that we DONT have catalytic converters... otherwise we wouldn't be here in the first place
Old 11-14-2005, 08:54 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: garygreen211

sounds kinda strange to me. i don't have to mess with inspecitions here so i haven't ever delt with any of that.

Combustion of air and fuel does not end inside the cumbustion chamber. Catalytic converters suppose to burn the unburned. If you have no cats, you often get a flame.

Gary
i realize how the internal combustion engine works but if yoiu dont have cats and your trying to pass an emmisions test then you would want as much gas burned up in the combustion chamber as possible. there for retarding the timing would push more unburnt air fuel mixture in to the exhaust piping.

Quick Reply: Beating emissions test