General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Beating emissions test

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2005, 11:48 PM
garygreen211
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Beating emissions test

Tim. You don't seem to have any experience nor knowledge. You're attitude is "I think it works like this", your attitude sux. Others will say I heard this stuff, that's acceptable.

No cats means you will not pass. It is impossible to burn everything without cats. Raising engine thermal efficiency by upping the timing will produce much more emissions. It takes a balance of pressure, time, and temperature to lower those to the point where they are acceptable. The mod motor tuners been putting HiFlow cats (trash in IMO) and doing maps that are at staich and retarded under light throttle and low rpm, that seems to work.

Another thing you should keep in mind, up to a certain mileage (I think 60k) you can not mess with your emission system. It suppose to be a federal law.

The easiest way to pass is to keep all your setups stock. Otherwise you can't, unless you cheat, give a guy a bottle. Stock is also Saleen, Rousch, SVT. Off road full length headers with off road x pipe, and fat pipes is not stock. And when you take the HEGO out you are asking for it. All the damn thing does is tell ECU mixture is lean or rich from the stoich, so that it can be adjusted to stoich while in closed loop.

Gary
Old 11-16-2005, 01:05 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Beating emissions test

like i said i know how a engine works.

but you don't seem to be reading they guy doesn't have cats on his car. the advise given was to retard timing. i just simply stated that retarding the timing would caust the combustion later in the rotation. all of that is fact. Then i stated that it seems like it would cause the emmisions to be worse because it would force more unused mixure in to the exhaust. now he doesn't have cats to burn that up so in theory it would may his reading worse.