General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

01 Mustang GT40 engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 06:09 PM
Sonic3v
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 01 Mustang GT40 engine

there is on 05 Ford GT motor on ebay for 44k damn...but you will have a hard time finding a true gt40 engine OUT of a gt40 anyways, just get a 302 with the heads and save yourself some cash. ford racing has a few of them built as crates.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:11 PM
waxyourboard
3rd Gear Member

I'm pretty sure the GT40 engine you're talking about is either going to be a 302 or 351 pushrod motor ( http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...lete%20Engines )

The motor you guys are talking about is the Ford GT motor :note: no 40 (the Ford GT40 motor was a big block 427)

The ford GT motor is just a bored/stroked 4.6 L mod motor with a supercharger bolted on. Instead of bolting up to a transmission and driveshaft, it just bolts up to a transaxle... kinda like a fwd car... so it has to have IRS

Anyways, as far as I can tell, FRP doesn't even sell the Ford GT motor yet (although i heard somewhere that they were...)

IMHO, sell your car and buy a V8 if you want a v8.

You'd have to change out.........

front and rear springs and shocks/struts, brakes, brake lines, engine, fuel pump, radiator, hoses, computer, transmission, crossbrace, flywheel, driveshaft, transmission yoke, rear end, serpentine belt, pulley system, headers, mid pipe, exhaust, and possibly your steering and linkage compontents, possibly k-member, maybe hood, motor mounts, wheels, tires

and there's probably more that i forgot.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:13 PM
Sonic3v
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: waxyourboard

I'm pretty sure the GT40 engine you're talking about is either going to be a 302 or 351 pushrod motor ( http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...lete%20Engines )

The motor you guys are talking about is the Ford GT motor :note: no 40 (the Ford GT40 motor was a big block 427)

The ford GT motor is just a bored/stroked 4.6 L mod motor with a supercharger bolted on. Instead of bolting up to a transmission and driveshaft, it just bolts up to a transaxle... kinda like a fwd car... so it has to have IRS

Anyways, as far as I can tell, FRP doesn't even sell the Ford GT motor yet (although i heard somewhere that they were...)

IMHO, sell your car and buy a V8 if you want a v8.

You'd have to change out.........

front and rear springs and shocks/struts, brakes, brake lines, engine, fuel pump, radiator, hoses, computer, transmission, crossbrace, flywheel, driveshaft, transmission yoke, rear end, serpentine belt, pulley system, headers, mid pipe, exhaust, and possibly your steering and linkage compontents, possibly k-member, maybe hood, motor mounts, wheels, tires

and there's probably more that i forgot.
No he means a GT40 engine not a ford GT, i just posted that for a point of reference, as i said before im sure he is mistaken it for a 302 with the heads.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:13 PM
MCFAST
1st Gear Member

(the Ford GT40 motor was a big block 427) The first GT40s where small blocks, later on thay uesd, big blocks.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:23 PM
Lee Willis
2nd Gear Member

You know, any project is possible, but unless you are jay Leno with your own garage, shop, and staff, there are some you should not try to take on. This is one of them. it is a good idea but it would simply cost too much. I suggest you save your money, sell your car, and buy something closer to what you want, or, equally good, modify it in a way that won't cost a kings ranson.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:53 PM
waxyourboard
3rd Gear Member

No he means a GT40 engine not a ford GT, i just posted that for a point of reference, as i said before im sure he is mistaken it for a 302 with the heads.
I just made that point because of ...
ORIGINAL: bloodxnightmare

positive its not a 302 with gt40 heads
Old 12-15-2005, 12:02 PM
doc_phibz
1st Gear Member

you can buy a Ford GT motor, and it does have all of that, but it's not a 4.6 it's a 5.4......and it's all aluminum(that's why it is so much better). Ford was gonna put it into the lightning, but production cost of the motor is to high. i think it's killer Ford made it rear wheel, in the spirit of other supercars like ferrar and lambo. the only reason the GT isn't the GT40 anymore is b/c the roof line isn't 40 in. off the ground. the Ford GT-41.7 just would sound to good.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:13 PM
Sonic3v
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: doc_phibz

you can buy a Ford GT motor, and it does have all of that, but it's not a 4.6 it's a 5.4......and it's all aluminum(that's why it is so much better). Ford was gonna put it into the lightning, but production cost of the motor is to high. i think it's killer Ford made it rear wheel, in the spirit of other supercars like ferrar and lambo. the only reason the GT isn't the GT40 anymore is b/c the roof line isn't 40 in. off the ground. the Ford GT-41.7 just would sound to good.
were they supposed to make it a front wheel car? lol...also he doesnt want a gt engine he wants a gt40 engine.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:42 PM
downwardspiral
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: doc_phibz

That would be a good Jeopardy question.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:47 PM
doc_phibz
1st Gear Member

i'm sorry, i didn't mean rear wheel.....i meant rearward engine( meaning engine is in the back). plus, the 5.0L "cammer" is all aluminum, and can be purchased with a stand-alone comp.,if ya had the $$$.

Quick Reply: 01 Mustang GT40 engine