General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

auto vs.manual

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 10:32 PM
shane361
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: auto vs.manual

ORIGINAL: 72MachOne99GT

Well I guess there is a reason why you are always seeing this info. Its what was asked for plus more. Stock for Stock the standard will take the auto on the strip and the street.(YOU can stop reading now) For everyone else the auto with even gears alone would take a standard at the track but still not on the street. The auto shifts up fast but doesnt shift down as fast.
you show me where in teh FIRST thread, he asked what it would take to make a an auto faster than a manual

im not sure if youre trying to say an auto with gears is faster than a manual with gears in the 1/4,, if so,, why would you think that? a manual with a good driver can still outshift a auto with only gears
First of all....if you reread once again what I said...i said its MORE info that was requested. Why not give more info on the subject if people have it to give.

2nd of all..I have no idea where in this world you think that a person can shift faster than an auto. NO CLUE. I know of countless people that take 03/04 Cobras and take the standard out and put an auto in. I know of many people that have bought AUTO mach1s just for the track and wouldnt drive anything else. They are faster and they are more consistent for bracket racing. I have well over 10 grand in my auto and kill standards with ease. There is always someone faster and many over me but A PERSON CANT SHIFT FASTER THAN AN AUTO.5.0 and Musle Mustangs and Fast fords....great reading material

No offence of course[&:]
Old 01-11-2006, 10:46 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

2nd of all..I have no idea where in this world you think that a person can shift faster than an auto. NO CLUE. I know of countless people that take 03/04 Cobras and take the standard out and put an auto in. I know of many people that have bought AUTO mach1s just for the track and wouldnt drive anything else. They are faster and they are more consistent for bracket racing. I have well over 10 grand in my auto and kill standards with ease. There is always someone faster and many over me but A PERSON CANT SHIFT FASTER THAN AN AUTO.5.0 and Musle Mustangs and Fast fords....great reading material
how much of what you said here has ANYTHING to do with a stock or nearly stock GT?
of course when you get a high powered car and you plan on bracket racing, an auto is more consistent, but nobody else was talking about a mach 1 for the strip or a 400 hp cobra

and im not going to argue that your automatic with thousands invested is faster and more effecient than a manul, so i dont know why you would bring that up
Old 01-12-2006, 12:33 AM
shane361
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 01musgt

how much time difference on the 1/4 mile will a stock manual have over an auto for the 01 -04 mustang gt

when i first got my mustang i ran about 14.8 , but now it runs 14.2

if i get drag radial tires will i be able to run in the 13's

01musgt....all I could find at this time was the times on a 02 auto and a 01 standard. The auto 02 was 0-60 in 6.6, 1/4 in 15.1@93. The 01 standard was 5.4 0-60,14.0 at 100mph-Shane
Old 01-12-2006, 01:06 AM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

99-04's are all the same in terms of times

Manuals were advertised 14.1@99, but an average driver will likely see in the 14.3-14.4 range, while some have managed (alledgedly) a 13.9-14.0

Autos run an averae of 14.4ish, with some pulling them into the 14.2 range stock

i however suck, and ran a 14.08 with mods [:@][&:]
Old 01-12-2006, 01:57 AM
xkon
2nd Gear Member

when my 99 auto was stock, i was averaging 14.5 with the occasional 14.2 and 14.3
Old 01-12-2006, 04:59 PM
XxphantomsnypzxX
3rd Gear Member

this is dumb, people with standards just defending themselves it seems liek to me, yes those statistics posted about the 0-60 etc the manual is faster ok but thats with a real good driver, not everybody is as good as those times, the auto stock for stock would probably lose to someone who can drive stick almost without a doubt, throw a shift kit and a high stall convertor and the pro driver in the manual will be seeing the back of the auto all day without a doubt, everytime, its all about consistency in the 1/4, you can have 1 good manual run, you can have mutiple good auto runs, it's really up to you, if you plan on trackwork or just fun, go with manual if you wanna have a good drag car go with auto, plus autos have a higher resale in general so if your ever planning on selling it
Old 01-12-2006, 06:26 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: XxphantomsnypzxX

this is dumb, people with standards just defending themselves it seems liek to me, yes those statistics posted about the 0-60 etc the manual is faster ok but thats with a real good driver, not everybody is as good as those times, the auto stock for stock would probably lose to someone who can drive stick almost without a doubt, throw a shift kit and a high stall convertor and the pro driver in the manual will be seeing the back of the auto all day without a doubt, everytime, its all about consistency in the 1/4, you can have 1 good manual run, you can have mutiple good auto runs, it's really up to you, if you plan on trackwork or just fun, go with manual if you wanna have a good drag car go with auto, plus autos have a higher resale in general so if your ever planning on selling it
Ok, once again, he did not say anything about installing other things, he just wanted to know auto vs manual stock. And yes, we know throwing a shift kit and stall and the auto will win.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:37 PM
ToplessGT
3rd Gear Member

bottom line guys, stock vs stock, the auto will get smoked... trust me, I have a 95 gt auto vert and get railed on everytime. Gears and stall to come though....
Old 01-12-2006, 10:10 PM
shane361
2nd Gear Member

Stock for stock the auto will get its butt handed to him on the street and the track[&:]

PS..but if you had a TC........just playing guys....really
Old 01-13-2006, 02:34 PM
mosnet23
2nd Gear Member

I wanted to get a P&P job done then add a centrifugal S/C with about 300 to 325 HP, is it mandatory to have a manual trans or if you have the car tuned good, the auto trans will be able to handle the extra power?

Basically I wanna know if i have to get the trans swap first before I add power

Quick Reply: auto vs.manual