General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

why is manual faster

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 09:14 PM
01musgt
1st Gear Member

Default why is manual faster

i always wondered why manual is faster than an auto
i heard reasons from auto uses more power
what do you think
Old 01-19-2006, 10:05 PM
wildcobrar
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: why is manual faster

yes the auto tranny is very inefficient, it robs horsepower and it shifts lazy when stock and way too early too. It alsohas poor gear ratios compared to the T-5 tranny. The only bennefit to an auto tranny when racing is cosistency and when built properly they are strong. I am sure there are more reasons but these are a few. The manaul tranny is lighter in mass and rotating mass too. Less weight= HP.
Old 01-19-2006, 10:09 PM
kartracer55
3rd Gear Member

Ones not always faster than the other... GENERALLY the manual is faster, but if you cant shift youll be at a disadvantage.

An automatic tranny uses a torque converter, which is a hydrostatic connection. Since its not actually a solid connection, it is possible for "slippage" to occur.... if your trying to put massive amounts of poewr down, this is all the more likely. A clutch will "grab" forming a "solid" connection. Naturally there will be some slippage, but assuming the clutch is rated for the power, it will lock up solid and transfer the power. The lock up will happen faster than the fluid inside the torque converter will match the speed of the input and output.

Somebody whos a bit more educated can explain this more in depth than I ever could.

Feel free to correct me if Im wrong, but this is my understanding of the subject.

Jim
Old 01-19-2006, 10:56 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kartracer55

Ones not always faster than the other... GENERALLY the manual is faster, but if you cant shift youll be at a disadvantage.

An automatic tranny uses a torque converter, which is a hydrostatic connection. Since its not actually a solid connection, it is possible for "slippage" to occur.... if your trying to put massive amounts of poewr down, this is all the more likely. A clutch will "grab" forming a "solid" connection. Naturally there will be some slippage, but assuming the clutch is rated for the power, it will lock up solid and transfer the power. The lock up will happen faster than the fluid inside the torque converter will match the speed of the input and output.

Somebody whos a bit more educated can explain this more in depth than I ever could.

Feel free to correct me if Im wrong, but this is my understanding of the subject.

Jim
no your pretty much right

but if we get into different cars other then stangs, then thats not always true, F-bodies have very good auto trannys, as do the audi TTs with the DSG gear box (2 clutches)