General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

performance chip

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 03:14 AM
Scooterman
2nd Gear Member

Default performance chip

would a performance chip for a modded 87 5.0 be good to purchase, if so, what kinda increases would i get, an estimate really b/c im thinkin bout chippin' my car
Old 01-28-2006, 03:17 AM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

Default RE: performance chip

I would go with a hand held tuner for anything that is modded. You can always order out custom tunes by telling the company your mods (i think superchips might do this) but they are usually right about worthless. With a handheld you can experiment some.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:59 AM
HC_CrAzYHoRsE
Super Moderator

i installed a diablosport on my ZX3 and felt absolutely nothing. the company said about a 10% hp and tq increase ....i think i would've felt an extra 14hp/14lbstq but no ...absolutely nothing. it did remove my speed limiter though, wich was worth every cent.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:09 PM
hunter9s
1st Gear Member

I installed a Diablo Predetor sport on my 02 mustang GT and it really made a difference. My car flat out runs alot faster now than before. Now I think alot of it has to do with the other mods I had done. I hear such a mixed response and I have to attrubute it to the mods you already have. I will give you a list if what I have done. Cold air intake /w K & W air filter, 2 contriverisal parts..Bosch titanium 4 prong spark plugs, turbonator, 3:73 rear, steeda tri axe shifter, new Goodyears all the way around, Dynomax exhaust system, long tube headers. I think thats it. I can't expalain it but it really helped my car alot. Going thru the gears it really puts you in the seat. The cold air intake I did modify ( I'm an x 25 yr plumber who is disabled ). I modified it to shove some air up the intake, so I don't know if the extra air is telling the new computer program to add more fuel to avoid a over lean condition or not. I only have 10 or 15 miles on this set up. The weather in PA is not coperating. I'm gonna run this set up for awhile and see what happens. Oh by the way if you are runing a chip on your incoming air temp, unhook it to run the Predetor. Thats my 2 cents

steve
Old 01-28-2006, 05:54 PM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hunter9s

I installed a Diablo Predetor sport on my 02 mustang GT and it really made a difference. My car flat out runs alot faster now than before. Now I think alot of it has to do with the other mods I had done. I hear such a mixed response and I have to attrubute it to the mods you already have. I will give you a list if what I have done. Cold air intake /w K & W air filter, 2 contriverisal parts..Bosch titanium 4 prong spark plugs, turbonator, 3:73 rear, steeda tri axe shifter, new Goodyears all the way around, Dynomax exhaust system, long tube headers. I think thats it. I can't expalain it but it really helped my car alot. Going thru the gears it really puts you in the seat. The cold air intake I did modify ( I'm an x 25 yr plumber who is disabled ). I modified it to shove some air up the intake, so I don't know if the extra air is telling the new computer program to add more fuel to avoid a over lean condition or not. I only have 10 or 15 miles on this set up. The weather in PA is not coperating. I'm gonna run this set up for awhile and see what happens. Oh by the way if you are runing a chip on your incoming air temp, unhook it to run the Predetor. Thats my 2 cents

steve
They don't make a tuner for the 87's. But yes, a chip will give you some good improvement. HyperTech or SCT should have them for you.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:47 AM
P.S.I.cho
4th Gear Member

the diablo delta chip is in my car, and what they do is when u buy the chip from a speed shop they give u the most basic tune, wich is why most people think the chip didnt do anything, since u have mods what u need to do is go throw it on a dyno and with the dyno sheet the tuner should be able to tune the chip to what your car put out, this is where the 10-15% horse power increase comes from, also the chip responds better to certain mods, the main mods would be cam, crahk, supercharger, exhaust on most chips.