General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Quick help

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 04:41 AM
TheCashMoneyFlow

Default Quick help

Hi...I just joined the website, and I was looking for some help.

Im not a car savvy person at all, which is why I came here.

I have a 5-speed 2000 v6 mustang...its pretty darn sexy, probably not as much as most of yours but hey, whatever works?

I was looking to get a new exhaust, new cool air intake, possible a chip or a fuel injector... The only problem is that I dont full understand how any of these work, or how one is diffferent from the next, or which of these I really need or what...if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great, Im looking for low cost, but efficient, so thank you very much in advance.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:33 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Quick help

I'm not too familiar with the brands of the stang mods...but when modding a motor there are things that you want to do. First you want to let the motor breathe....so you want to ditch the restrictive factory airbox/lid and get a good cold air intake. Next is a good exhaust, from headers(replaces the exhaust manifolds) to the H/X/Y pipe to the catback. With full exhaust you'll see a good SOTP(seat of the pants) gain. The more expensive catbacks are usually stainless(borla, corsa, GMMG...etc) but you can buy cheaper aluminized catbacks that'll last awhile if taken care of. You won't need new injectors until you're making a lot more power. Like I said earlier, i'm still learning about stangs but i'm sure it's flash based memory...so there's not actually a "chip" like older OBDI vehicles. You can buy a handheld tuner that'll basically advance your timing and adjust a/f ratio...the more expensive predator will allow you to adjust the a/f on your own among many other things..I think it allows fords to data log also. Rear-end gears will also help a lot....so get some lower gears but it'll be expensive because you'll probably need someone to install them for you. A short throw shifter would also be a good mod for your 5-speed. But it is still a V6...so getting good power wil require spray(nitrous) if you want to do it cheaper, or a good supercharger but those are very expensive depending on the brand(5k+).

But it all depends on what you want out of your car...a simple bolt-on car would be good if you're not looking to race but want a little more power.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:01 PM
TheCashMoneyFlow

What I'm really looking to do is just some basic tune ups to increase my HP by a marginal amount. I dont really think Ill be racing, but I do want my car to have that extra llittle kick. From what ive read and heard, the only things ill need for that are a new exhaust and new cool air intake. In your oppinion, what is the most efficient, but also cost effective of those? The only really mustang geared source for parts ive seen is: http://www.mustangtuning.com/2000-mustang-v6-parts.html and like I said before, I dont really know the difference between these or any other kind of parts.
Old 02-18-2006, 04:05 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Maybe this will help you out. It was about the same topic.
Well, the exhaust anyway.

https://mustangforums.com/m_1024538/tm.htm
Old 02-18-2006, 05:23 PM
TheCashMoneyFlow

well, it looks like im in the same boat as him, im only 16, and its my first car. Do you know of any catalogs or internet websites that I should look at or certain parts that would go well with my car or what?