General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

Drifting

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 01:02 PM
MustangChris04
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Drifting

if u want to drift, go buy an import.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:16 PM
TBird232ci
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: XbcSharpShooter

if u want to drift, go buy an import.
Wow, we have a smart one here. Everybody! Listen to this one! He knows everything!

Go to a drift competition, youll see quite a few f-bodies and mustangs too. But i guess they should buy imports too.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:15 PM
namezod
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Thrill Racer

actually Luke your wrong
A powerslide is using the hourse power to loose the grip in the apex of turn (hents the powerslide), and a drift is using your brakes to brake loose the tires before the corner, and caring the slide through out the whole corner.

If your going tell someone not to do something, use facts, not ideas. and about the V8 thing, yea your right you can get them for pritty cheap, and there more durable and every thing else, the drivetrain is were i loose most of the money.

and i m not here start fights and make enimies, im here for info from people that know this stuff.
actually thrill racer you're wrong.

rear wheel drive cars drift too, and they don't use brakes to break the tires loose before the corner. They use the thottle.
Drifting isn't all about using an e-brake. Braking is for FWD cars.
Old 02-26-2006, 03:17 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: namezod

ORIGINAL: Thrill Racer

actually Luke your wrong
A powerslide is using the hourse power to loose the grip in the apex of turn (hents the powerslide), and a drift is using your brakes to brake loose the tires before the corner, and caring the slide through out the whole corner.

If your going tell someone not to do something, use facts, not ideas. and about the V8 thing, yea your right you can get them for pritty cheap, and there more durable and every thing else, the drivetrain is were i loose most of the money.

and i m not here start fights and make enimies, im here for info from people that know this stuff.
actually thrill racer you're wrong.

rear wheel drive cars drift too, and they don't use brakes to break the tires loose before the corner. They use the thottle.
Drifting isn't all about using an e-brake. Braking is for FWD cars.
i said the same thing.
Old 02-26-2006, 04:48 PM
TBird232ci
5th Gear Member

Actually, it depends on the car and the conditions. Power alone is not going to make your car drift as you want, you NEED the brakes, no E-brake, because that shifts the weight to the front, you heel and toe, get the rpms up, hard off the clutch, making the *** end come around because the rear of the car wants to pass the front.

Drifting isnt just E-brake or power, theres a lot of finesse
Old 02-26-2006, 04:51 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

this thread is dumb
Old 02-26-2006, 07:28 PM
alexr
★★★★★

there is no DOHC 4cyl engine for the mustang if thats what youre saying. but you can swap out a DOHC head from a 4cyl volvo, but its a lot of work. putting that on a turbo coupe motor would be a good combo for some nice power if thats what you want. as for the drifting part, im not gonna repeat whats already been said.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:44 PM
gregariousgreg
2nd Gear Member

Professional drifting is done pretty much exclusively in RWD cars. They usually use the engine to break the tires loose, not the e-brake. Using the e-brake is considered a cheap move. Having a V8 would probably actually be better for drifting since the front end is heavier and it has more torque to break the tires loose. Drifting as a sport was invented in Japan, that's why you usually see imports doing it. A domestic with V8 can often make an even better drift car. One of the most famous modern drifting cars is a new GTO.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:34 AM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

this thread is too stupid for me to put my .02 in .. everyone has their opinion on it and what they think is what.. go watch some drift videos, including those of cockpit views to see what the driver does

also to make this clear NO FWD CAR CAN DRIFT, DRIFTING IS A RWD SPORT ONLY.. lol cough .. lol pulling an ebrake on a FWD car to slide isnt drifting thats just sliding or fish tailing..

also to make this clear, the pros dont "just drop the cutch" the are on the brakes entering a corner using thier heel they rev up the motor (drifting occurs at high rpm) hp maintains torque, HP is at a higher rpm than torque so get it in the meat!. then they pull hard on the ebrake with a jerk to the wheel to get their car to slide in the direction they want.. then dump the clutch and maintain the RPM in the powerband through out the corner, then shift out as they straigten..

so i put my .02 in.. ask anyone who follows the sport its what happens
Old 02-28-2006, 12:35 AM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

also for best case senarios, power to weight ratio of 50/50 is as ideal as your gonna get..

Quick Reply: Drifting