General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Drifting

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 08:26 PM
Thrill Racer

Default Drifting

So im getting tired of these stupid people that drive all these under powerd ricers, calling them selfs drifters, and i know that they cant because if they did they would be populare. I have a 89 mustang (hatch) with the 4cyld, which i was going to replace it with a 302, but talking with people and seeing how much it would cost, lets just say ill keep the 4cyld. but because i realize that with a 4cyld i would be able to controll the car a little bit better than a V8 in a drift. But the front is to light for a dirft wich will make me loose it, so i need to find ways to transfer the weight, and then i would like to get DOHC and trash the SOHC, any ideas on that one, i know ford has a motor thats DOHC and is also turboed (or super charged i cant rember) but i dont know the name of it, and also a Body kit to go with it, I saw a demon kit for it, and i looked on ebay it was roffly 1100 dollers by the time you were done, I need all the help i can get on this.

Thanks
Old 02-23-2006, 08:44 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Drifting

no one drifts on the forum soo there wont be much help hear. as far as the motor it is the 32v 4.6 supercharged motor that is in the cobras. but what ever floats your boat. i dont really know much about drifting. maybe go on a ricer forum or somthing
Old 02-23-2006, 09:23 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

i dont know much about drifting either but i think it is cool how they can control thir cars sideways around huge turns and stuff
Old 02-23-2006, 09:34 PM
dsum14
2nd Gear Member

They made the SVO in the 80's that was a turbo charged 4 cylinder, but I don't think it had that much power. In drifting its all about breaking the tires loose while keeping control of it. Suspension will play a big part in it. Probably subframe connectors, front and rear strut tower braces, and a fairly low gear like a 4.56 or so. Good luck!
D
Old 02-25-2006, 04:24 PM
85pro50mustang

first of all those ricers came up with that rediculous name of "drift" its not a drift a drift is something that snow does.... its proper name for us AMERICAN people is "Power Slide" and no you dont want a turbo 4 cyl. slooowww and secondly dont put a body kit on a stang they are real tacky and reminds me of wheels that dont fit cars and huge fart cans for exhaust. go v-8 you can get 302's real cheep

LUKE
Old 02-25-2006, 05:08 PM
Thrill Racer

actually Luke your wrong
A powerslide is using the hourse power to loose the grip in the apex of turn (hents the powerslide), and a drift is using your brakes to brake loose the tires before the corner, and caring the slide through out the whole corner.

If your going tell someone not to do something, use facts, not ideas. and about the V8 thing, yea your right you can get them for pritty cheap, and there more durable and every thing else, the drivetrain is were i loose most of the money.

and i m not here start fights and make enimies, im here for info from people that know this stuff.
Old 02-25-2006, 05:37 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Thrill Racer

actually Luke your wrong
A powerslide is using the hourse power to loose the grip in the apex of turn (hents the powerslide), and a drift is using your brakes to brake loose the tires before the corner, and caring the slide through out the whole corner.

If your going tell someone not to do something, use facts, not ideas. and about the V8 thing, yea your right you can get them for pritty cheap, and there more durable and every thing else, the drivetrain is were i loose most of the money.

and i m not here start fights and make enimies, im here for info from people that know this stuff.
actually they can brake the tires loose plenty of ways not just with the E brake. if you have anough power, which most of the sponsored drifters do, they just drop the clutch and that brakes them loose. soo your wrong.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:02 PM
XxphantomsnypzxX
3rd Gear Member

drifting is easy in a sandy parking lot thats all I know
Old 02-26-2006, 04:44 AM
Thrill Racer

a drift takes advantage of compression breaking to slow down into a corner and power it out. the break can make that more effective. a power slide uses acceleration torque to "POWER" into and out of the corner...
Old 02-26-2006, 12:42 PM
TBird232ci
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Thrill Racer
know ford has a motor thats DOHC and is also turboed (or super charged i cant rember)
Nope, the only Turbo'd 4 bangers Ford did was the 2.3L with the 8 valve.

ORIGINAL: 85Pro50Mustang
and no you dont want a turbo 4 cyl. slooowww
Tell the 5.0's and fbodies ive outrun that.

Sliding in the dirt is NOT drifting. Proper drifting is the ability to put the car sideways BEFORE the turn, and control it completely through the turn, and bring it back straight out of the turn. Too many people think sliding around is drifting.

You dont want a turbo car for a first drift vehicle. Ive spent weeks trying to figure out how to drift my car, and the biggest issue is, i can get the car drifting, but as i use the throttle to control it, boost comes and goes as its wants, and its very difficult to control because you go from 90hp with no boost, to 275 with boost in a split second.

Quick Reply: Drifting