Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Stripes and Pony Grille Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 04:59 PM
29Coupe

Default Stripes and Pony Grille Question

I'm looking to buy a 2006 GT here in the next few months. Had a couple of questions hoping someone could help out.

1.) I want to get stripes. Bumper to Bumper. Would you guys recommend having the dealership do it?

2.) I really like the V6 Pony Grille. Has anyone swapped this grille in a GT?

Thanks!
-Jeremy
Old 03-01-2006, 02:11 PM
29Coupe

Default RE: Stripes and Pony Grille Question

BTT
Old 03-01-2006, 03:47 PM
kopfjager
1st Gear Member

Well I guess that would depend on whether you wanted vinyl stripes or custom paint and whether your dealer can perform either of these tasks. Some have body shop some don't. Some hae a vinyl striper they use, some don't.

Vinyl just looks cheesy to me, I would prefer Lemans stripes that are in paint.
They cannot attach viny to the textured surfaces of your lower front valance. they also cannot do around curves very well, like the area around the rear license plate. You will pay much more for acrylic polyeurethane stripes to be painted than for somone to cut vinyl strips and put them on.
The v-6 pony grille is too small for a GT, sorry.
You can find many aftermarket grilles out there though.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:12 PM
29Coupe

ORIGINAL: kopfjager

Well I guess that would depend on whether you wanted vinyl stripes or custom paint and whether your dealer can perform either of these tasks. Some have body shop some don't. Some hae a vinyl striper they use, some don't.

Vinyl just looks cheesy to me, I would prefer Lemans stripes that are in paint.
They cannot attach viny to the textured surfaces of your lower front valance. they also cannot do around curves very well, like the area around the rear license plate. You will pay much more for acrylic polyeurethane stripes to be painted than for somone to cut vinyl strips and put them on.
The v-6 pony grille is too small for a GT, sorry.
You can find many aftermarket grilles out there though.
So you recommend getting the stripes painted? If the dealership offers the painted stripes, is that the way to go.

Also, are you saying the V6 pony Grille is physically too small to fit in a GT?

Thanks for the help!!
-Jeremy
Old 03-01-2006, 05:30 PM
kopfjager
1st Gear Member

Yes correct on both counts.
Paint produces much better stipes because it is just thata custom paint job. It costs much more to paint them. Much more work to do it is why:
You will pay 1000-3000 to have your stripes painted. It depends how good the painter is and how much work he does.
Mine is being done right now. They have to sand down paint (clear coat) on front bumper, hood, spoiler, deck lid and rear bumper. They have to remove the front and rear bumper and the GT emblem in the rear. They have to tape off all areas to not be painted, clean the surface and prime the textured surface of the lower valance.
Then spray the base color for stripes, fog in any custom pearls you want, and then they spray a new clear coat.
They then wet-sand the clearcoat (to smooth edges and orange-peel) and do it again.
Finally they need to remount the spoiler, and bumpers and polish the clearcoat with a semi-orbital buffer.
My car has been in for stripes for over a week. It takes time to prep and to test various color samples, and do all that taping.
The finished product will look nothing like vinyl because you can use chameleon, flip-flop, metallic and pearl paints on these stripes to give your Stang a real custom look. My stripes will be red (on black convertible) but will change colors to metallic orange or bright blue when the light hits the paint correctly.
You cannot get that look from low luster vinyl, it just is not equivalent to a custom paint job. Even if you go with plain old white paint will always look better than vinyl.

That Pony grille is physically too small for the GT - different front facia between the two trims.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:25 PM
29Coupe

Thanks for the info!!
Old 03-02-2006, 03:26 AM
pastor_ice43
2nd Gear Member

This is just my 2 cents....but if you get someone who is good....vinyl looks just as good as paint. You CANNOT tell a difference looking at it with the exception that there is no gloss(or metalic if thats what you have) If it's done right, it looks beautiful, is alot cheaper then paint....and will last for a good 7 years.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:05 PM
29Coupe

ORIGINAL: pastor_ice43

This is just my 2 cents....but if you get someone who is good....vinyl looks just as good as paint. You CANNOT tell a difference looking at it with the exception that there is no gloss(or metalic if thats what you have) If it's done right, it looks beautiful, is alot cheaper then paint....and will last for a good 7 years.
Hey pastor_ice43, can the vinyl be put on the bumpers and around the license plate area? I'd like my stripes to go bumper to bumper.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:39 PM
kopfjager
1st Gear Member

Here are some examples from this and other forums.

First Yellow GT with black vinyl stripes- notice license area..

Next same color Gt with same stripes in paint

Next some black on white vinyl stripes. Again notice license area.

Okay now white on blue vinyl.

Yellow stripes in paint being applied.

Gold on red painted stripes.

And finally here are some funky white vinyl stripes.

I will post pics of my painted stripes early next week when they are done.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:46 PM
29Coupe

kopfjager.......you rock!! Thanks for posting all those pics. Cain't wait to see yours!

-Jeremy