Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Need Advice, 06 GT Broken, only 100 MI

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 03:25 AM
DrK5Blazer

Default Need Advice, 06 GT Broken, only 100 MI

So I buy a new mustang, and it's making a noise when I down shift. It sounds like something is loose. Maybe it's the rear, or the throttle body? Has anyone heard of this... It only has 100 MI on it!!! I really don't want to be messed around with when I take it to the dealership, can anyone hook me up with some advice?

- Gregg -
Old 03-09-2006, 03:28 AM
Shard Phoenix
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Need Advice, 06 GT Broken, only 100 MI

What kind of sound? Clunking, smacking, metal on metal, describe it. Where does the noise seem to come from.

It should be under warantee, so its not like the dealer will screw you out of $$$
Old 03-09-2006, 05:24 AM
stang9325
2nd Gear Member

Since you posted this thread twice, I will post again here. "Maybe it's the rear, maybe it's the TB." Those two components come from opposite ends of the car. Get it straight on where the noise is coming from before you expect any intelligent guesses on the problem.
Old 03-11-2006, 01:01 AM
terryc

Just got the word from our dealer: the entire rear end is being replaced on my wife's 06 GT. I heard a 'bad wheel bearing' type noise when running about 40 and above and only on deceleration. They replaced the ring but still is doing it so Ford wants to replace the whole thing. Only 400 miles on it.

Is that the kind of sound you hear on yours? The service manager said this was the first one he had heard about on the 05/06. They are having to pull one from the assembly line and ship it down here to Texas; takes about 3 days.

Hopefully yours isn't this but just wanted to mention the problem we are having as a possiblity for you as well.
Terry
Old 03-12-2006, 12:07 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

2 days and 117 miles after getting my 06 auto while doing 65mph with cruise on I heard a bad sound in the rear. I drove it another mile home with some grinding. I called the dealer and they towed it. The rear end was gone. Ford wouldn't let them even crack it open and sent a new one. A week later it was installed. That was just before I stored it for winter and have 470 miles on it now. The dealer was good abot it. Scared me, I hadn't been raceing or even floored it from a standstill. I hope to get it out next week and figure it's fine. Things do break or get put together wrong and it shows up right away usually...
Old 03-21-2006, 05:26 PM
terryc

After a week & some they finally got the new rear end put in. Ford won't let the dealer close out the paperwork until Ford picks up the old assembly. They had initally replaced the ring, pinion, bearings, seals, but to no avail. Not sure what else, but the notes did say there was "excessive wear".

Not sure what exactly that means, but the new rear end seems much quieter, and surprisingly, the car did not seem quite as "stiff" in the suspension when I first drove it home. Since I don't drive it but very occasionally it may have just been my imagination. Anyway, it's fixed now.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:26 PM
W1ldcat
3rd Gear Member

That's good that you have it again. I never found out what happened to mine. I have put 450 miles since and just got it back out. Everything has been fine with mine and I belive yours will be fine now too. Besides if the problem ever, and I mean ever happens again it's documented. It stinks to get something that cool and nice and to have it break, but that's how it goes sometimes. I figure my bad luck is out of the way now and smooth cruzin from here out.
WC
Old 03-22-2006, 12:41 AM
viking396
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: W1ldcat

2 days and 117 miles after getting my 06 auto while doing 65mph with cruise on I heard a bad sound in the rear. I drove it another mile home with some grinding. I called the dealer and they towed it. The rear end was gone. Ford wouldn't let them even crack it open and sent a new one. A week later it was installed. That was just before I stored it for winter and have 470 miles on it now. The dealer was good abot it. Scared me, I hadn't been raceing or even floored it from a standstill. I hope to get it out next week and figure it's fine. Things do break or get put together wrong and it shows up right away usually...
Ford doesn't decide on if the dealer can open a rear end or not, if they told you Ford did, they're lying.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:32 AM
sdmahr
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: viking396

ORIGINAL: W1ldcat

Ford doesn't decide on if the dealer can open a rear end or not, if they told you Ford did, they're lying.
That's not necessarily true: I've been working with FORD as a supplier for over 20 years. Depending on which issues they are working on, they most definately will dictate to the dealer what can be touched and what cannot. Often times, during investigations, parts must come back to Ford or to the supplier for failure analysis to put corrective actions in place, (design or mfg process). Over the years, I've even flown to dealers along with Ford Engineering to perform analysis on the spot !
Old 03-22-2006, 03:31 PM
mustdroptop
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DrK5Blazer

So I buy a new mustang, and it's making a noise when I down shift. It sounds like something is loose. Maybe it's the rear, or the throttle body? Has anyone heard of this... It only has 100 MI on it!!! I really don't want to be messed around with when I take it to the dealership, can anyone hook me up with some advice?

- Gregg -
Look in the floor-third pedal from the right.Press this before you downshift and it will solve problem.