Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Air Intake For 06 GT

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 12:10 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Air Intake For 06 GT

ORIGINAL: northy_polk

ORIGINAL: MusiccityGT

ORIGINAL: bcc333

I installed K&N Air Charger 632565 - K&N Aircharger Intake Kit - For 05-06 Mustang GT - Options: = $235.95
from stangsuspension.com http://www.stangsuspension.com/store...amicIndex.asp.

before u ask...the heavy duty aluminum foil reflects more heat.

the one thing i would change is the oil from the filter leaks down on the inside of the gasket where it attaches to the flange (W adapter # 452) and as a results the worm screw must be really tight. Next time i would wash the inside of the rubber gasket on the filter and then clean with alcohol, dry thoroughly with something lint free and also clean the flange. once thoroughly dry it will probably take 1 1/2hr to put on if u r slow.

i left the neg battery cable off for two hrs per K&N's suggestion (to allow the PCM? to reset the air fuel ratio) and when i replaced the battery cable the 2005 4.6L started and ran without difficulty.

[IMG]local://upfiles/31840/B131D75B66A24244AC8CF08598B7336C.jpg[/IMG]

Ummm.... Is that the new Reynolds Cai kit? Does it come with an upgraded charcoal can? Sorry, couldn't resist.
although i agree it looks hoakey, the guy/gal has a point. if it's indeed a CAI, and you know how hot it gets in the engine compartment, doesn't it make sense to put some sort of heat shield over the intake TUBE as well as around the filter? i did a random check of the CAI tube on my car after driving for about an hour and DAMN that thing was on fire! ok, not really, but you get the idea. I've also seen somewhere that racers wrap their intakes [and other stuff] the same way to keep the air cooler as it goes into the throttle body.

anybody got any ideas on this?

It only makes sense to try to keep the cold air as cold as you can. Back 30+ years ago when I was running at the local strip, we would rig up a coiled fuel line sort of like a whiskey distiller, and put it in a big coffee can and then pack it with ice to cool the pre-ignition fuel. It helped a little.
Old 05-11-2007, 12:58 PM
Getaway
2nd Gear Member

Sorry, but if aluminum foil can't shield my chicken in the oven, it won't do jack for your intake. In fact, it may even trap the heat in. You need something that won't absorb or transfer heat if you want to make a shield. Auto manufacturers use air as this sheild that's why there is a gap between aluminum heat sheilds and exhaust/tranny. Buy a header blanket or something...or if you are determinined to save a dime or two by doing it yourself...

Rape your first-aid kit of it's rolls of cotton gauze. Wrapthat around the intake, then put the foil over it. The gauze will be the insulation, and the foil will keep the gauze from falling apart and snagging on something. Do not get the guaze wet, as air molecules will insulate better than fluid.

Thinking while typing...wool or fiberglass may insulate better than cotton. It's all a waste of time if you don't limit the heat at the filter though.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:04 PM
Getaway
2nd Gear Member

At the filter...
I see you've put foil there as well...[&:]
Again, may I suggest fiberglass, styrofoam, or something that won't look like aluminum foil?? As I stated above, the foil doesn't limit heat transfer anyhow, and it only looks silly. Pull out that box your tv, PS2, VCR, or otherdevice came in...get the largest piece of styrofoam out of the box, and widdle it down to fit your application. A little silicone to seal it to your intake's heat shield...maybe a light coat of spray paint so it's not gleaming white...andstay cool.

BTW: I think there may be heat ratings for styrofoam, so while I was suggesting something other than aluminum foil, be cautious about whatever else you decide to put under your hood.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:22 PM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

The foil looks FUGLY[sm=interesting.gif]