Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

hood stuck

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 06:44 PM
bcc333
1st Gear Member

Default hood stuck

2005 stang GT premium 4.6L..........(i probably shouldn't be allowed to use a wrench).

R = standing in front of hood looking at driver or pushing that direction. L towards passenger

ok, i put the pins in now the hood is stuck shut. i opened it once or twice but now it's stuck after shutting it hard. the release from the driver's seat L knee pops the hood loose normally with the resounding "Thunk" but the hood only pops up a little maybe 1/2 inch. the R side is loose but the L (passenger side) is down against the pin. i can barely get 1 finger under the center R and touch the yellow release but my hand is so cramped i can apply no pressure to push it L to open the hood. the hood normally releases about an inch and a half (1 1/2 in). u lift up center slightly and push Yellow lever L...(???)..... but it is jammed down too tight to do that.

i have tried cutting one of the pieces of plastic out of the mesh grill to take a screw driver and push the yellow lever, unfortunately it was too far to the L. maybe i need to cut out another piece out further R so i can push at more of an angle towards the passenger L side. it is almost as if the yellow lever is no longer releasing the secondary hood latch...because the hood on the L is down too tight???

any ideas?

pic is lousy focus but is staight on thru hole in mesh grill.

[IMG]local://upfiles/31840/10B66A7A3A764334AB8E0EAAAF5A452C.jpg[/IMG]
Old 04-03-2006, 07:11 PM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Default RE: hood stuck

Is the hood hung up on the pin (passenger side)? If not what would be keeping it from releasing that 1 1/2? Did you make any adjustments on the 4 rubber stops up front?

Anyway, from under the car any way to push up (carefully, I know; maybe with homemade tool) where the passenger side pin is. I don't have hood pins on mine; so I'm having trouble imagining how they are set up. I can look at mine (with open hood) when I get home and maybe have some thoughts for ya.
Old 04-03-2006, 08:28 PM
bcc333
1st Gear Member

in re rubber stops...yes i adjusted them and I think i got the L one too high u can push the R side of hood down a little near the stop but the L one has no play.

The L pin was re drilled (hole enlarged) it is not binding.

the guy from the ford place said they would put on lift and go up under the hood w/ a long screw driver to release the latch then take the long screw driver, jab it in to my wallet and remove about $140.00.

it is almost like the L rubber stop is to high and not allowing the L side of hood to come up and be released w/ the initial pull of the knee release in the driver seat. whereas the R side does come up, which makes no sense there are not two lathes R / L there are 2 center only.

if u could look and tell me WHAT to push on w/ screw driver? and which direction to push i might be able to do it from new front hole.

[IMG]local://upfiles/31840/051CD1CA6222405A8460C4A25BB0A2FB.jpg[/IMG]

hood from under car
Old 04-03-2006, 09:10 PM
05ROUSHER
2nd Gear Member

Try pushing down on the hood while some one pulls the release.
Old 04-04-2006, 01:33 AM
fairlane292
5th Gear Member

Right, even if it means shutting the hood again; then have someone applying even pressure from the front before/as you pull the interior lever. Try this a couple times.

Well you may already know this but if you had the triangular design section directly up from where the pony's tail meets the body. there are 3 triangular sections above that point. If you open up the top one you can easily move the yellow "second latch" all the way to the left. I'm just thinking though from what you said that it's the primary latch that is not releasing and this would be the case when the hood is in it's lower position (as yours is on one side; so the middle isn't up enough) You could also have someone pull up directly in the middle as you pull the interior latch. As long and the person isn't Hulk Hogan they shouldn't bend the hood any.

I don't know if this helps any; might consider a small local shop that will put the car on their lift and work with ya for under $50; I don't think the dealers are gods when it comes to a special fix. It will likely be well worth your while to see what the problem is so it doesn't happen again. Dealers like you to sit in the waiting room while they screw around with your car. Good luck and if there's something specific you want me to look at just let me know.

Oh, just one more thought for ya. If you go over to the left to the next triangular design section (just above middle of pony's mane) now you should see the other one of the two bolts that hold the bar that latches to the mechanism(first one you should see from your cutout above where pony's tail meets it's body); I would think you could wrench these out (duct tape lower edge of hood so you don't accidentally scratch the paint) It looks to me that these would be quite accessible; might need to find the right wrench (box ratchet maybe) even bend one if you need to. They're just small 10mm; I adjusted mine once (they aren't in all that tight; course I had better leverage than you might have) remove these two bolts and up comes your hood. ...Jim
Old 04-04-2006, 03:41 AM
2006GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bcc333

the guy from the ford place said they would put on lift and go up under the hood w/ a long screw driver to release the latch then take the long screw driver, jab it in to my wallet and remove about $140.00.

[sm=roll.gif]
Old 04-06-2006, 07:25 PM
bcc333
1st Gear Member

ok i tried all that, weight on front (2 people) didn't work.

so i finally, gave up and took it out to Carmax (my dealer). Service rep and mechanic came out in parking lot worked on it for about 15 minutes primarily jabbing large screwdriver in near lock and popped silver piece into the up position... hood popped up. charge = $0.00 (Ford dealer said $140.00).

What I learned:
[ul][*] when u do hood pins make absolutely sure holes are not binding, (i re-enlarged mine, on top and bottom of hood)--though i don't think this was the cause of the binding...i think latch was just stuck[*] coat exposed metal w/ wife's clear nail polish........ unless u use your clear nail polish, u know the stuff u were applying while watching Brokeback Mountain [see other thread]....[*] apply white litihium grease to stock hood latch[*] make sure rubber hood stops are not unscrewed up too high...but they need to contact hood to prevent??? hood shake.
[/ul]