Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Dallas, TX TUNE Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 07:35 PM
musicguy75070

Default Dallas, TX TUNE Questions

Hey all!

I just ordered an 06GT/ 5spd and am planning to make my first upgrade a C&L CAI and tune. Thanks to this forum, I have read much about using a "canned" tune versus a "custom" tune. How much benefit would I see from a local shop creating a "custom" tune as opposed to using the "canned" tune from someone like Brenspeed? Additionally, as I add other improvements (exhaust, etc) will I need to have a local shop "retune" the system or do I simply add other "canned" tunes?

My background to date has been mostly European sports coupes and sedans. Could anyone recommend a local shop (North Dallas Area) that provides custom tune services for Mustang GT's?

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-05-2006, 10:13 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Dallas, TX TUNE Questions

Every car reacts differently. A canned or emailed tune is going to be a generalized tune that is safe, and will work for any car. A custom dyno tune is going to be just that. Your car tuned. I picked up about 15rwhp between a canned tune and a dyno tune the first time I had it done. And yea, pretty much after each mod that is going to have an impact on either fuel delivery or air delivery you will need a retune.

Call Manny at HPP Racing in Lewisville (972-395-9844). Tell him Doc sent you up there to get a tune from Jeremy, what you have, and what you want to put on it. The guy is a wizard with a dyno. DON'T GO TO DALLAS MUSTANG. You can go to LONE STAR PERFORMANCE, but after you leave you will still want to go to HPP to have whatever they did redone correctly. HPP knows their stuff. They don't have a fancy storefront. They don't have people standing around trying to sell you stuff. What they do have is a garage full of turbo and supercharged cars, and the fastest Mustang on radials in the state. In fact, Manny won the Fastest Mustang Shootout weekend before last down at Kennedale. He has an 8 second car that has tags and inspection!
They are closed tomorrow through probably Tuesday. Going to Georgia for FFW. But give them a call next week and they will do ya right. If you want further testament to their work, go to dfwstangs.net and read through the garage section.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:03 PM
PonyGT2005
2nd Gear Member

hawgman, have you heard anything about Forced Induction Systems in McKinney...they are just down the street from me...I believe they have a Mustang dyno but I don't no anything about them other than that.
Old 04-06-2006, 01:13 AM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Seems like I have heard the name, but not heard anything about them. They do have a cool name though

Kind of like LG Motorsports. Heard the name forever and their shop is about 5 miles from my house. But don't know squat about them.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:13 PM
Furinox
4th Gear Member

Does the shop in lewisville have a website? What do they charge for custom tunes? I live in Denton so I'd be curious to know, although I'm broke right now from buying new wheels.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:25 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Yes, they have a web site, but it is being reworked so there isn't much there at the moment other than the opening page.
I certainly am in no position to price quote for them, but I would venture to guess that it would run around $300ish and that would be however many pulls it took to get the car right. Which is considerably different from other places I have seen that limit it to three pulls. Best bet would be just call, tell them your setup and see what they say.