Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

FRPP Headers installed...Exhaust/Engine Experts please read for question!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 03:43 AM
4wheelkillr
2nd Gear Member

Default FRPP Headers installed...Exhaust/Engine Experts please read for question!!

So FRPP shortys are finally in....what an amazing pain in the butt...

took about 4 hours to dismantle everything (mainly because I didn't have all the right tools....
but only took about 1.5hrs to completely reinstall both headers, exhaust, steering etc...

all is great...

HERE IS MY BIG QUESTION:

I noticed after starting it up for the first time I could hear the valves: click-click-click-clickedy-click-click-click...
I never noticed this sound before and of course have been under the hood many times.

Is this normal after installing headers? Anyone else notice this?
I'm thinking and HOPING that it could be relief in back pressure on the exhaust side of the head which just lets the exhaust valves open and close more freely....is that possible? or feasible?

anyone? anyone? CK? Professor? Hawgman? anyone?
Old 04-20-2006, 03:16 PM
sams66

Default RE: FRPP Headers installed...Exhaust/Engine Experts please read for question!!

I had the headers on my 95 gt changed from stock to bbk ceramics a couple years ago. the ticking is most likely a small air leak, because that is what I encountered. my mechanic unbolted the headers from the heads, and put in I believe Mr Gasket 5.0 header gaskets, instead of the supplied gaskets. he also double checked the connection at the header collector and Hpipe and tightened that up. No more leaks.

good luck

Sam
Old 04-20-2006, 03:34 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: FRPP Headers installed...Exhaust/Engine Experts please read for question!!

It's an exhaust leak, probably the header gasket. Recheck your connection to the h-pipe but it's most likely at the head.

Make sure you recheck them a few times after the installation to make sure the bolts stay tight.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:24 PM
4wheelkillr
2nd Gear Member

I installed the new gaskets that came with the headers.
Should I try taking the gaskets and headers off and reinstalling everything? I checked the torque on all 16 bolts at least 2x. I know they loosen up over time but this was only a few minutes after install.

Wouldn't you think that if there was a leak coming from between the headers and the head there'd be a pretty loud exhaust sound as well...seeing as it'd be coming straight from the head?

The clicking is definitely the valves moving around because that's the only thing constantly moving under the valve cover basically. i don't know if its exhaust or intake valves.

It's also in perfect unison with the idle/cams and it happens on both sides and sounds exactly the same on both sides.

If it were a leak isn't it likely that it wouldn't be the EXACT same leak on BOTH sides and would thus make a different sound on each side?

I'm just not sure. Mayble the clicking was always there and I just never noticed it.
Any ideas at all or are we sure they're just booth leaking?
and if they are leaking, since all gaskets are in place and all bolts are torqued..how doo I stop the leak?
Old 04-20-2006, 08:41 PM
sams66

believe me, it is likely the gaskets that are supplied with the headers. check out summit or jegs for some gaskets from Mr. Gasket for the 2005. also, it is really hard to seat those headers right while working in the engine bay. I asked the same question on the 95 forums and that is exactly the advice I was given.

Sam
Old 04-20-2006, 09:03 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

+1 it's hard to get headers sealed, I don't know if anyone offers an upgraded gasket for the 3v though.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:23 PM
JPS51830

+1 it's hard to get headers sealed, I don't know if anyone offers an upgraded gasket for the 3v though.
They are a PITA to seat. Get a set of Percy's. You can find them on eBay for about $34 shipped. Have them on mine with JBA shorty's and have absolutely no porblem with them.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:40 PM
4wheelkillr
2nd Gear Member

Ok, I'll pickup a head gasket set to see if that helps it out.

Here's ANOTHER kick in the pants!!....
I took a test drive a few minutes ago.... I can hear AND feel the steering column hitting the headers. It happens most on left turns and from returning to idle/decceleration after increasing speed: like in between gear shifts.

I've heard of these issues with LT headers but never shortys. Even at rest the steering column is practically touching the header. Since the clearance is so damn close at rest, I don't know if swapping the motormounts will change anything. They might keep the engine from torqing over as much on decel. or left turns.

I also noticed that the stock header gaskets are these huge, 2-piece metal gaskets that cover much more than just the exhaust ports, they practically cover 1/2 the head once they're on. I wonder if there's something to those things that the supplied gaskets just can't do...who knows.

This is becoming more of an ordeal by the minute.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:44 PM
JPS51830

You've got something set up wrong with out a doubt. I left the stock MM on mine and have no issues at all. Mine are JBA's but FRPP side by side are the same. IMO I would get back in there ASAP and check out what you did.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:58 AM
4wheelkillr
2nd Gear Member

I dont know what I could possibly have setup wrong. OBVIOUSLY something isn't right. But the stock manifold unbolts, and the other header bolts back up. There's not a whole lot of room for error. The steering column only goes back in one way because it has those stop screws that mesh with the pinch brackets. I did notice that even with all 8 header bolts in, the headers can still wiggle around (before they're tightend obviously), it's like the bolt holes on the header are too big-which of course is probably some built in adjustment to line things up. Maybe I'll pull them off, try using those stock metal header gaskets and push the left header as far forward and away from the steering column as I can....I'm just annoyed with this crap....it's not like it takes special expertise to make adjustments to make the damn things fit...they just flippin' bolt in!

I'll play with it this weekend to see what I can come up with. Thanks for the advice.

ORIGINAL: JPS51830

You've got something set up wrong with out a doubt. I left the stock MM on mine and have no issues at all. Mine are JBA's but FRPP side by side are the same. IMO I would get back in there ASAP and check out what you did.