Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

weird problem.. what is my car doing??

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 10:23 PM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

Default weird problem.. what is my car doing??

so awhile back i had long tubes h pipe and custom dyno tune done, ever since then over the course of 3600 miles this problem has happened twice one time and then 2900 miles later it happened again.. this is what it is doing.

i will be driving down the highway 70 mph and i will goto get on the exit ramp to get off and this is when it has happened both times, my car will throw the oil light, check engine light, feels like it goes into fail safe, and the WORST part is the power steering stops working.. both times i have been caught off guard by this and had to put lots of muscle into it so i wouldnt go over the line and hit the guy next to me when merging from a 70mph exit.. i simply just turn it off while gliding and turn it back on and its like nothing was ever wrong.

has anyone ever heard of this, or could something be wrong in my tune? i dont know anything about tuning but im willing to check my parameters if you believe somethign in it can be causing this problem, any help would be appreciated.

chris.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:18 AM
MikeVistaBlue06
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: weird problem.. what is my car doing??

Sounds like you have an intermittent short or open circuit happening...i.e. a connector may be loose.

What you describe is exactly what would happen if the engine just dies--the power steering going is the biggest clue. The serpentine belt runs that pump so if it ain't workin' that means the engine is not turning! If the engine dies it should throw the oil light and check engine light.

First thing I would do is check all of the connections around where the work was done--especially the computer connections.

If that ain't it, then the throttle may be closing completely shut and not letting it return to idle when you lift.

Let me guess--you have an automatic transmission? Let me know if that is right or not.

Thx,

Mike
Old 04-22-2006, 12:44 AM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

thanks for the response, no its a manual 05 gt, i will check all my connections tomorrow and see if i see anything loose, i believe i checked the connections the first time this happened and didnt find anything but i am going to check again to make sure.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:56 AM
hotrodmustang

does your cats or is it off road, if it is off road you might have an O2 problem causing your engine to shut down. just a guess.

98 mustang gt
cold air intake
pypes cat'd X-pipe
custom spiral flow cat back exhaust
diablo sport predator tuner
70mm thottle body
C&L aftermarket upper plenum
Old 04-22-2006, 01:14 AM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

i had a o/r pipe and had it tuned for that, but now i have the hpipe with cats, but im not sure if the tune was set back to detect the cats.. im sure it was but i can check that too.
Old 04-22-2006, 03:24 AM
MikeVistaBlue06
I ♥ Acer

Interesting it is a manual. I thought the engine was dying and not turning over enough to power the power steering pump.

However, on a manual transmission, the motor should keep turning over at a high enough rpm to keep the steering working (as long as you don't push the clutch in). That is strange.

Hope you find it.

Mike
Old 04-22-2006, 06:41 PM
Hufenstang
4th Gear Member

i checked my connections everything seemed to be plugged in fine and secure, anyone else have any suggestions?
Old 04-22-2006, 07:32 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Damn dude thats horrible I can't answer the question but I'm feeling ya.