Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 12:09 PM
dakotaduffy

Default supercharger

Just purchased my first ever mustang. GT Conv. I was talking to the dealer and he mentioned that I could purchase a supercharger from Ford performance parts. Quite expensive though. Is it worth the money? Anyone have some comparisons. Do you get put back in your seat?
Old 04-21-2006, 12:14 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: supercharger

They won't be available until later this year through Ford. It is the same one that Whipple sells which no one has actually installed that I know of. I know of at least one that has been on order for over a month and he hasn't seen his yet. For these cars the only way to go is with a twin screw or turbo IMO.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:22 PM
dakotaduffy

Thanks,

The dealer, who of course is probably full of sh..., said he had 4 in stock. He is also a Saleen dealer. Does that make any difference? He was saying I would get ~425 hp. Cost, 7200.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:31 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

Well he was probably talking about the Saleen supercharger which nets around 425 at the crank. No way I would pay $7200 for it. If you look around you can get a decent tune, 39 lb injectors and a Saleen blower for under $5500, at 4 psi you would make 400hp to the wheels and the tune will be much safer than the Saleen tune. Then get it installed at a local performance shop if you aren't comfortable with doing the install yourself.

If he has the Roush superchargers which it may be, I wouldn't waste my money it's over priced and inefficient.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:18 PM
MJDGator

That is pretty pricey. I was quoted by a reputable shop $980 for installation of a supercharger (Whipple, Saleen, KB type). Also $350 for a custom dyno tune. So for under $7k I can get one installed and custom tuned. I guess you never really get a good deal going through a dealer.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:07 PM
GhostPony
2nd Gear Member

The deal in having this type of work done by Ford dealers is that you will net be getting hassled when you take your modifed Mustang in to the dealer for service.
I paid more to have the dealer put my S/C and gear etc in, but I don't have to worry about them threatening not to pay for some warranty service because they found mods on the car.
Yes the S/C could have been intsalled by a speed shop for less maybe, but my dealer would not be to keen on seeing that KB kit if they didn't sell it to me!
Old 04-21-2006, 02:27 PM
dakotaduffy

Ghost,

What did you see in performance difference. I have 20" saleen rims on the car which makes it hard to burn.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:19 PM
johnnyv8
4th Gear Member

better watch out w/ ur warranity w/ mods like that...its best if your spending that kind of money to have a dealership do it. ( I mean what a couple extra hundernd bucks for a $35G+ dollar car ur messing w/)
Old 04-21-2006, 04:53 PM
QuickShortBus
I ♥ Acer

If it's going to void your warranty it's going to void your warranty, no matter what a blower could result in a blown motor, a fried clutch, fragged trans or rearend and I will guarantee if they can void it because of the blower they will. You just replace the weak links with better parts.

If you aren't looking to make over 400whp now or ever go with the Roush and their tune then you keep your warranty as long as it's installed by a dealer or go with a Saleen and their tune (which is VERY lean) and you get a 2yr/24k mi warranty on your motor then. But if you get the Saleen you will want more power and as soon as you get a better tune, sorry their went the warranty.